Best kept secret - bases that you liked and why

Ladies & Gents
A comment I put on another thread caused me to comment on a few RAF bases as being a bit of a 'best kept secret'; ie a place that was immensely popular amongst the troops, well located, good facilities, decent towns / pubs in the local area etc.

So, over the course of your illustrious service, what was the best kept secret of a base that you were ever posted to and why? Can be anything from a short course through to a full on posting - let's be having your rose-tinted reminiscences of why you liked being at Cholmondley-Smythe Barracks in Barbados, or HMS KYJelly, or wherever.........

Starter for 10

RAF Shawbury. Great tri-Service Messes, a very grown up environment for the staff and trainees, plenty of clacker kicking around because of the Air Traffic Control school. Shrewsbury a £20 cab away (and even I could pull in Shrewsbury), loads of decent countryside for the bike. Country pubs a-plenty in the picturesque little villages in the local area. Even the contractors hadn't managed to f**k up the food, well they hadn't the last time I was there.

DITA

MIA
Sennelager as permanent staff in STC 2004-06.

Beers on the doorstep, adults in charge (even when 2 of us decided to seriously break the rules...), working environment relaxed but hard at the same time and, well Germany innit?

Naval Amphibious Base, Coronado California. Fantastic SoCal location

Kineton. It has both the School and Ammo depot there meaning lots and comings and goings of ATs, meaning you can catch up with old mates.

It also has a sign as you enter with a big AT flash and “Welcome Home” - A nice touch.

BATUS - work hard, play hard and an extra £45 a day for the privilege.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Castle Martin - outstanding natural beauty and no riff raff. Lulworth likewise.

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
Dreghorn barracks. Back gate access to the Pentland hills; front gate bus to Edinburgh city centre.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Sennelager as permanent staff in STC 2004-06.

Beers on the doorstep, adults in charge (even when 2 of us decided to seriously break the rules...), working environment relaxed but hard at the same time and, well Germany innit?
Did you know John McGourley, LD? Would have GSM about then.

DITA

MIA
Did you know John McGourley, LD? Would have GSM about then.
Name rings a bell... although if he was at the Bde HQ we didnt have many dealings with them as we fell under LWCTG. There were a lot of WO1/2s kcicking about the respective TATs and I may have partaken in a couple of the local beverages over that period too...

The German Bar on a Friday afternoon was a particular favourite as it was just across from our block!

Snow queen in the 70's as permanent staff, we had the run of the local fraulins, the zotler beer was nuclear , proof as was the local schnapps. Magnificent landscapes, Austria and Switzerland just over the border , local food to die for, views from the mountain tops, and the ski restaurants at the top of the chair lifts, served the local delicacies, with the magnificent alps, breath-taking, and the clean, un-polluted air. Christmas and new year totally out of this world, the boxheads really know how to throw a party, and in February, Fashing and rosenmuntag, the wildest nosiest booziest night of the year, all the small villages in the area ban traffic, street lights out, fireworks, and night skiing by the instructors only, slowly coming down in file from the top of the ski run holding flares, bonfires on all mountain tops, local lads dress up in animal skins, and horned headdress and parade down the main streets with crowds lining the pavements, giving sweet to little kids, the atmosphere is electric , all the pubs crowded out, noise music and good cheer all round, no trouble, just good and happy fun, snow ball fights with the locals, street food everywhere, and D&D laws suspended.

I done 4 snow queens as a PSI, and if nothing else, the memories of my time in southern Bavaria will stay with me always. I have 2 photo albums of memories.

Last edited:
Harden Barracks, Obenkirchen. Probably no more than 45-50 living in squaddies, pads all in Buckeburg, nearest Garrison Stadt was Minden, miles away. For British tottie, BMH Rinteln just up the road, no other squaddies in sight! Bars and clubs in Rinteln, Stadthagen, and Obenkirchen, plus full run of the Septic base in Hessich Oldendorf.

RAF Mount Batten, Plymouth. Was a war time sea plane base, then RAF maritime wing and finally school of survival. I was lucky enough to spend a blissful week there during the hot June of 1990 during the army pilots course, two years before it finally closed. Very pleasant, not very military, private beach, sufficiently far from Plymouth to be civilized but close enough if you feel the need. Also loads of interesting history.

Barker barracks, straight out the notgate and into a whore house, doesn't get any easier than that.
Bit further than just outside the gate, unless you know of and additional whore house than the Siam Club, we used to find that the bar there was more often than not occupied by the QMs from the Regts in Barker.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Name rings a bell... although if he was at the Bde HQ we didnt have many dealings with them as we fell under LWCTG. There were a lot of WO1/2s kcicking about the respective TATs and I may have partaken in a couple of the local beverages over that period too...

The German Bar on a Friday afternoon was a particular favourite as it was just across from our block!
He was my best man. Died about 18 months ago. Posted on here as GeordieHussar.

DITA

MIA
Bit further than just outside the gate, unless you know of and additional whore house than the Siam Club, we used to find that the bar there was more often than not occupied by the QMs from the Regts in Barker.
Possibly he's confusing himself with Normandy Barracks in Sennelager, and the establishment in between the Winter Garden and Tingle Tangles?

DITA

MIA
Month course at the RAC Centre Bovington, 2nd night there clicked with a MILF working behind one of the bars, she was very receptive to anything I could give her + she was a certain WO2's wife which gave me another sort of sadistic pleasure.

Latest Threads