Best Job Before Joining?

Hello,

What would be the best job to have before training to prepare for the physical and mental challenges of the military? I was looking at McDonald's to begin with, just to pay the bills and the gym membership, but I realize that I'll get nothing out of that. If money is no concern, what would you suggest?

Cheers.

Grape picking in the south of France before joining the Foreign Legion!

@Condottiere, I did consider the grape picking. I was getting ready to book a flight to Marseille, where a local would pick me up in a horse and carriage, transporting me through the picturesque rural French campagne. He would show me how to work the vineyard, I would get a tan, and I would meet lots of lovely French women. However, I read somewhere that you must have resided in the United Kingdom for at least 5 years prior to joining.

Hello,

What would be the best job to have before training to prepare for the physical and mental challenges of the military? I was looking at McDonald's to begin with, just to pay the bills and the gym membership, but I realize that I'll get nothing out of that. If money is no concern, what would you suggest?

Cheers.
It’s possibe to pay bills and gym membership whilst working at McDonald’s? Who knew?

My Donald's will teach you good skills that will translate well into a military environment.
Low pay, Shoite food, cheap shoddy uniform, a rank structure (do they still wear those gold stars?), service to a populace that despises you, water-skiing. #

What's not to like?

# One of these has no real basis in reality, guess which one.

@Condottiere, I did consider the grape picking. I was getting ready to book a flight to Marseille, where a local would pick me up in a horse and carriage, transporting me through the picturesque rural French campagne. He would show me how to work the vineyard, I would get a tan, and I would meet lots of lovely French women. However, I read somewhere that you must have resided in the United Kingdom for at least 5 years prior to joining.
All you have to do to join the Foreign Legion is to impress the recruiters that you want to and that you will not decide to jack it in at the first bit of physical or mental pain. The first year can be shit, but you make the most of it and after that you are no longer the sprog/newbie.

In 86-87, between the Foreign Legion and the British Army, I worked as a bouncer at Dingwalls Dance Hall in Camden Lock, in north London and then as an Air France Passenger Handling Agent at LHR. Both jobs were great for different reasons which came together on the subject of excellent fanny prospecting.

labourer on a building site, and pays enough money for the bills. It would give you routine with early starts, camaraderie, different kinds of people to work in a group with. It can be physically hard with a lot of lifting and shifting, going up and down stairs and scaffolds. It would build up your mental strength with the banter and also gaffers pushing the job along. It dosent always go smoothly either, lots of problems and mistakes so great for problem solving. combined with good nutrition you will build up too.

Get a job working as a labourer digging services for utilites. Out in all weathers long shifts and wet/ covered in muck etc normally 6/7 days a week as well soon be fucked with early starts/late finishes will set you up well

Don’t bother with the gym, it’s a waste of money. Go for runs outdoors, do press ups, pull ups and sit ups. Get yourself a decent daysack and go walking in the hills.

As for a job, anything you can, it’s only a temporary measure.

labourer on a building site, and pays enough money for the bills. It would give you routine with early starts, camaraderie, different kinds of people to work in a group with. It can be physically hard with a lot of lifting and shifting, going up and down stairs and scaffolds. It would build up your mental strength with the banter and also gaffers pushing the job along. It dosent always go smoothly either, lots of problems and mistakes so great for problem solving. combined with good nutrition you will build up too.
Did that between leaving school and the Legion. The above post sums it up very well. It's a real piss-taking environment as well (or it was with all the Micks on the job at the time), which will set you up for the no-holds-barred give-and-take of the mob.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Is there such a thing as preemptive schadenfreude? It's just that seeing some of you dicking about in a recruiting thread makes my special place tingle a bit.

Don’t bother with the gym, it’s a waste of money. Go for runs outdoors, do press ups, pull ups and sit ups. Get yourself a decent daysack and go walking in the hills.
As for a job, anything you can, it’s only a temporary measure.
Cracking advice from Dingerr! Set yourself some targets. Look for a park near you that has an outdoor exercise area, if there isn't one - improvise with benches and the like. Work up to running to and from your place of work if you can and if you have a shower room there. Carry your work clothes in your pack and run in trail boots, track pants and a sweat top to simulate running in mil kit.

As for the hill-walking, in Sep. '86 a mate from the CCF and I did Aviemore to Fort William in ten days including the four highest summits in Scotland and several others, carrying all we needed for the journey - but then we had the kit and the experience as we'd been doing the DoE's Award previously. If you are not at that level, aim for something like a stretch of the Ridgeway Path.

All you have to do to join the Foreign Legion is to impress the recruiters that you want to and that you will not decide to jack it in at the first bit of physical or mental pain. The first year can be shit, but you make the most of it and after that you are no longer the sprog/newbie.
Like pretty much all useful military organisations nowadays.

I chatted to an instructor doing SEAL selection/training and he say's everyone wants to be a SEAL nowadays in the navy, it is up there with being a jet jockey for sex magnetism. They get so many applicants they run a pre-selection program to weed out the total dross - mainly the big upper body, heavily tatted, body builder types, who can't do a run, and surprisingly many who can't even swim. They run the course up at the Great Lakes where there is now a dedicated prep-school that filters people on to BUD's proper - around a quarter actually get through the whole 6 month BUD's process. And, nowadays even before they join up High School kids can take part in prep training for a career in Naval Special Warfare.

I worked behind the bar in Mario's Trattoria three nights a week. Free Italian nosh family meal with the rest of the staff, free house plonk that tasted like horse piss, and tip's, loadsa tip's.

Join.... or remain a civvie that for years that can say why you almost joined . You'll never know the truth when you get pass 30.

Hello,

Cheers.
Get a job on a mushroom farm.

You'll be used to being kept in the dark and all the bullshit.

Ah! Here's my taxi...