Best ISA to go for?

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by fltpilot, Apr 6, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So those in the know whats the best ISA to go for this year?
  2. Go on moneysavingexpert - sign up for the email, and he updates you weekly on stuff like this. I think the best rate for easy acess at the moment is about 2.8%
    • Like Like x 1
  3. The helpful answer is it depends.

Ask yourself:
    Do you want a shares or cash ISA?
    How much risk are you willing to take with your money?
    When are you likely to want the money back?
    What other shares/investments have you got?
  4. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Cash ISA? I wouldn't bother. Any rate you get is never going to keep pace with inflation so you're basically saving to stand still.

Stocks and Shares ISA is the way to go (in my non-financial advice giving opinion) but that opens up a whole other can of worms concerning risk and suchlike.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Nottingham BS do a regular ISA saver for 1 year.
    4% max £480 per month
  6. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Buy silver!

And no that does not constitute regulated advice.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Was thinking of shares in a Defence company as people always seem to want bombs & bullets!
    But seriously want to keep my money as safe as possible.
  8. Santander do 3% on their 123 current account. More than I get from any ISA I've got.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. That's taxable though, whereas interest on an ISA isn't.
  10. Today's the day. Any interesting ideas on ISAs? As Supermark500 above says, the Santander 123 current account gives you 3%, but maybe the roulette wheel of ISA can get you more for all that cash you have sloshing around in there. The Hargreaves & Lansdowne site shows some good possibles, and I like the look of the ARM Holdings Ordinary within a S & S ISA.
  11. ISA rates are crap, and now there is tax relief on normal bank interest the 123 is looking a good option.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

I've just transferred mine away from my old provider since they wouldn't answer the sodding phone when I was trying to pay more in. I've switched to a Baillie Gifford Investment Trust ISA which I'm happy with.

Not a huge selection of Investment Trusts to choose from but those they have are solid.

Investment Trust Share Plan/ISA | Individual Investors | Baillie Gifford

(Not financial advice etc)
    • Like Like x 2
  13. A chap by the name of David reckons offshore is the way to go this year

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Old Old x 1
  14. Thought so, it's a stocks and shares ISA, so the value can go down as well as up, so they souldn't be able to quote a rate of interest.

Why not go it alone and have a financial company look after your shares in an ISA, you can pay in what you want when you want, but a bit more riskier.
  15. Look at your banks savings accounts too, Santander offer an online savings account that lasts for 12 months and offers 5% interest on the money saved there, but you have to be a current account customer. You can only transfer £200 a month into it but for 5% if you have the cash spare you may as well bung it in.
    • Informative Informative x 2