Best GPS for Ops/Excersise?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by RoyalWelsh7023, Feb 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As per the title... What in your opinion is the best GPS to purchase for operations and when on Excersise in the UK and elsewhere.

I know you can sign them out from the CQMS but I'm going to buy my own. I have been looking at the Garmin foretrex 401 and like the fact you can wear it on your wrist but I wanted the opinion of you chaps.

2. If you need a GPS for Ops you will get a 401. Makes sense to get that one if you want to buy one privately.
  3. Do you have issues with map reading? :-b
  4. Foretrex 401.

But the 101 is just as useable.

I find the wrist option a pain in the arrse. the pouch option and attach in on your left shoulder works well. RVOps sell the pouches.
  5. I got the Foretrex 301. As good as the 401 but cheaper and better than the 101 or the terrible 201.
  6. I have seen the pouches before and will Deffinetely get one if I go down the 401 route. What are the differences between the 401 and 101 apart from the price? Is the 101 battery powered and 401 internal battery powered? If so I would have thought the 101 would be better for use on the ground.

Navigation isn't too bad as I'm a sniper.