Best Freeware

I have been using Openoffice for a few years instead of paying for MS Office. On my laptop I had Ubuntu, back on windows again now, but I am going to start using a Ubuntu USB on boot up.
I recently had to give up on Open Office and buy MS Office 365. I have developed a very data heavy and equation dense workbook for calculating everything around investments and pensions. Sadly, Open Office Calc couldn't cope and kept either crashing or corrupting formats. I have not had a single issue since I switched. All that means is that Open Office Calc has its limits and I suspect it is more to do with how it handles memory rather than the power of the engine itself.

endure

GCM
Softmaker do a free Office alternative that's quite good. You have to register and get the occasional upgrade email which you can turn off. You can even choose between the ribbon or old type of menus.

You're right. The last revision was in 2018. I didn't know that.

I downloaded libre yesterday and shall give it a bashing later this week when I need to write a short paper for a course I am doing.

I had not paid attention to openoffice being out of date either and have been suffering the occasional crash/hiccup of late.

I downloaded libre yesterday and shall give it a bashing later this week when I need to write a short paper for a course I am doing.

I had not paid attention to openoffice being out of date either and have been suffering the occasional crash/hiccup of late.
I've used LibreOffice for many years now. It seems to do everything very satisfactorily, it's regularly updated and has the advantage of being multi-platform. The only slight shortcoming (if it can be described as such) is its rather dull and old fashioned GUI.

I'm using Handbrake to convert some of the hundreds of films on a hard drive to MP4 - a little flashcard I've just bought has 1024Gb on it, and can be slotted into a tablet for the evenings on the boat - but look at the load it puts on the CPU:
1.jpg

and the temperatures the poor thing suffers:
2.jpg

That can't be good. Is there any other free software which can convert VOBs to MP4? I haven't found one (VLC is supposed to be capable, but I've not been able to manage it).

jinxy

LE
I'm using Handbrake to convert some of the hundreds of films on a hard drive to MP4 - a little flashcard I've just bought has 1024Gb on it, and can be slotted into a tablet for the evenings on the boat - but look at the load it puts on the CPU:
View attachment 603022
and the temperatures the poor thing suffers:
View attachment 603023

That can't be good. Is there any other free software which can convert VOBs to MP4? I haven't found one (VLC is supposed to be capable, but I've not been able to manage it).
What CPU cooler are you using? Core 4 is very near its thermal design capacity

I use Handbrake too, I cant recall the settings (presets) buy I'm sure there's a batch mode to do the conversions in the background. I also never convert to a higher resolution than I need (which also keeps the file size down)

Failing that, consider changing the priority of the process to a lower setting

What CPU cooler are you using? Core 4 is very near its thermal design capacity
I know, and suspect that it's crashed the system a few times before. This is a Lenovo thinkpad W510 ten years old but usually good. I haven't tinkered with the innards, other than putting in a second SSD in place of the DVD, and to clean the fluff out of the fan with an aerosol occasionally.

But; given what's happening, I reckon that the software is eating up all the core capacity needlessly, and want a better way.

I use Handbrake too, I cant recall the settings (presets) buy I'm sure there's a batch mode to do the conversions in the background. I also never convert to a higher resolution than I need (which also keeps the file size down)

Failing that, consider changing the priority of the process to a lower setting
I'm using batch mode at the moment, converting 4 films, and don't dare stop it. But you're right, I should have checked the settings before allowing a default one.

I recently had to give up on Open Office and buy MS Office 365. I have developed a very data heavy and equation dense workbook for calculating everything around investments and pensions. Sadly, Open Office Calc couldn't cope and kept either crashing or corrupting formats. I have not had a single issue since I switched. All that means is that Open Office Calc has its limits and I suspect it is more to do with how it handles memory rather than the power of the engine itself.
Moved to G Suite company. We use Gmail and Hiver, it makes my fecking eyes bleed and you can't ungroup stuff. But devops man....****s

endure

GCM
Might I suggest you give Freeoffice a try. It's a free version of Softmaker Office and is very Msoft compatible.

You can have a go with the free version and see if it suits. It may be all you need. If not a 5 user version of Softmaker is around £90 for a perpetual licence. They also do subs like Office 365.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I used to use Powtoon a lot, it has a level of free access

I used to create training videos using their cartoon characters in my last job. I'm also using it for a job interview on Monday. They want an example of something different.