Best Food For Hill Walking ?

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by CptDanjou, Sep 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I`m getting back into hiking / hill walking and plan to spend 3 or 4 nights out and walking around 20 to 25 miles a day before the weather gets too miserable here in the UK , what food and drinks do you recommend carrying and why ?

2. Once spent some time with a hairy mountain dweller type person who swore by black bread, pickled herring and honey as his afternoon snack of choice while ambling up **** off big rocks.

Mind you I think he might spent a little bit too much time above the snow line if you get what I mean :)

Carbs and calories in whatever taste combination you prefer is about all I remember.

3. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

You're going to do 50 klicks plus a day? Basically jogging with a rucksack and a tent?

Tea
    Extremely large fruitcake x no of days out x 2.
    Baked Beans x no of days out
    Loaf of bread x no of days out
    More tea
    Tin of curried chicken - Sainsbury do a bloody excellent one for £1.55
    Lime pickle - for above chicken and sandwiches
    Decent corned beef - for sandwiches and so you can have something for the pickle
    Pickled Onions
    Lump of cheese
    Big bag of sweets or chocolate if it's cold.
    Pre mixed oats with sugar, salt and milk powder (for when your legs give out and you await rescuing in the sudden blizzard)
    Bottle of scotch - medicinal purposes.

Stay away from boil in the bag lets play at being soldiers crap unless someone else is paying for it.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Hi
    You can get boil in the bag food from Millets and Blacks quite easily, use those for breakfast and evening meal as they are lightweight and easy to cook, they also keep forever. Then during the day just snack on things like nuts and dried fruit, and chocolate bars/ boiled sweets etc to keep you going for the main body of the day. On the drinking side of things a water bladder is a good idea, as you can drink while walking and don't have to stop, and perhaps other water bottles stowed in your rucksack for boiling your food and drinking from when the water bladder runs out. And of course Kendall mint cake ;)

Hope this helps even slightly

Tom

5. More like 40 click max ,Brisk walking , no jogging.

6. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Porridge, biscuits, raisins, nuts, cheese, tea and sugar. Carbo load for 3 days before setting off.

• Like Like x 3
  7. "what food and drinks do you recommend carrying and why?"

Corned beef and onion sandwiches, pate and onion sandwiches, flask of hot water, 3 in1 coffee, PG instant and tubes of carnation.

Why? Because I like the flavour, the sandwiches are moist so you can munch them on the move, separate from your drink.

If you're hill walking in Britain, there's not a great deal of difficulty detouring to call into a shop. If the weather's nice, have an ice cream as well. It's not as if you're walking round in circles on a training area just to clock the miles up.

8. If you're going for 3/4 days and you're happy with the weight I see nothing wrong with 24 hour ration packs stripped down to the bits you need, I spend a bit of time in the hills and always take them with me. Full of the calories/carbs you need and you can always add bits of your own.

For my Ultra marathon events (doing another in Brecon this Saturday) I just use gels, flapjacks and water but I'm hoping to only be out on the hills for 6-7 hours.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Ribena or lemon for your flask.

Malt loaf

Oats milk powder; dried banana/apricot instant custard powder; pasta, rice, instant soups to flavour - dehydrated: no shortage of water in UK.

10. Gels ? I hope not of the KY type , pls explain.

11. That make a big difference?

12. HaHa!! Lots of sheep out there you know!

Naw....I use SIS Go Gels......they're about 30g of carbs and you don't need to dilute them.

13. CaptD - 25 miles a day 'getting back into it'. Blimey, what are you planning once you've got your mojo back completely?What sort of tentage/bivi bag and cooking kit are you taking and what are you going to carry it all in? Asking because I'm just getting back into it as well but I'm bloody sure I won't be trying to keep up with you.

14. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Gels new fangled stuff in a foil type pouch thing - similar to a large fruitcake but not nearly as edible.

You're lying on your back with your legs resting up against a fence to get the blood circulating again and what do you reach for - a jel or a nice cup of tea and a large fruit cake?

I mean it's hardly even a choice is it?

15. Depends on how much you want to spend really........I've gone all gucci lightweight and use a Terra Nova Laser Competition tent which weighs about 1kg but can cost you about £300 (I got mine for £130 in a sale).