Best energy drink/bar before tab and during?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by jonny36, Mar 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What energy drinks/bars do you take before and during a tab if any?
  2. Really wouldnt bother. Make you you have eaten the right foods (Carbs) at least a few hours before and you are suitably hydrated. If you are talking about serious, long distance tabs then I always found that the odd wine gum or two hepled whilst I was on the move. Maybe that is just me and my sweet tooth though!
  3. Anyone tried the energy gels?
  4. The "Go gels" by PSP work very well, weird sensation though! They also do a powder form that you can mix with water.
  5. Guinness! :wink:
  6. Boots energy bar with 52g of carbs is a good easily available one and certainly comparable with all these 'flashy' fitness cr4p ones! and a bottle of water...simple, cheap and effective!

Of course you can go for the all-singing, all-dancing 'energy' drinks!! in day-glo colours promising you will be faster, stronger and more alluring to the opposite sex.....If it helps!!
  7. One of my group on the duke of edinburgh had a packet of dextro-energen (buy over the counter at a pharmacist) dissolved in a bottle of boost (cheap red bull substitute) and he was buzzing, but to be honest, it just seemed like he was on smack rather than prepared for a walk, so i'd say anything marketed at ultra-marathon runners and the like.
  8. Buzzing....and about to develop type 2 diabetes....sugar and caffeine!!! yeah that'll work! :roll:
  9. Well.... Yeah, you make a good point, but it was well worth watching, and we wouldn't be real mates if we didn't let him put himself in a potentially life threatening situation for a few hours of childish amusement.
  10. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Full fry-up from the cookhouse, couple of mugs of Nato standard, and a Lambert and Butler if you are that way inclined.

Keeping British forces tabbing since the days of the Raj!
  11. I find a decent cooked breakfast, and plenty of water before and during TABs and CFTs works wonders. If Im really flagging during Ill eat a bit of chocolate. No need for poncy energy drinks/bars.
  12. I wouldn't bother, fast carbs prior to that wil lead to a sump in blood sugar and you'll feel gash.

A decent slow-carb rich meal beforehand and some nutty for the ride (sweets).
  13. I found the threat of being ragged around all night by the RSM if I failed was enough incentive to get through a tab!
  14. A good meal and a few cups of coffee

Although this is my general solution before training for me when I feel like crap