Best energy drink/bar before tab and during?

Really wouldnt bother. Make you you have eaten the right foods (Carbs) at least a few hours before and you are suitably hydrated. If you are talking about serious, long distance tabs then I always found that the odd wine gum or two hepled whilst I was on the move. Maybe that is just me and my sweet tooth though!

Guinness! :wink:

Boots energy bar with 52g of carbs is a good easily available one and certainly comparable with all these 'flashy' fitness cr4p ones! and a bottle of water...simple, cheap and effective!

Of course you can go for the all-singing, all-dancing 'energy' drinks!! in day-glo colours promising you will be faster, stronger and more alluring to the opposite sex.....If it helps!!

One of my group on the duke of edinburgh had a packet of dextro-energen (buy over the counter at a pharmacist) dissolved in a bottle of boost (cheap red bull substitute) and he was buzzing, but to be honest, it just seemed like he was on smack rather than prepared for a walk, so i'd say anything marketed at ultra-marathon runners and the like.

scooperman said:
One of my group on the duke of edinburgh had a packet of dextro-energen (buy over the counter at a pharmacist) dissolved in a bottle of boost (cheap red bull substitute) and he was buzzing, but to be honest, it just seemed like he was on smack rather than prepared for a walk, so i'd say anything marketed at ultra-marathon runners and the like.
Buzzing....and about to develop type 2 diabetes....sugar and caffeine!!! yeah that'll work! :roll:

Well.... Yeah, you make a good point, but it was well worth watching, and we wouldn't be real mates if we didn't let him put himself in a potentially life threatening situation for a few hours of childish amusement.

The_Duke

LE
Full fry-up from the cookhouse, couple of mugs of Nato standard, and a Lambert and Butler if you are that way inclined.

Keeping British forces tabbing since the days of the Raj!

I find a decent cooked breakfast, and plenty of water before and during TABs and CFTs works wonders. If Im really flagging during Ill eat a bit of chocolate. No need for poncy energy drinks/bars.

A good meal and a few cups of coffee

Although this is my general solution before training for me when I feel like crap

robbiedont said:
Also Energy bars are overpriced, MUCH cheaper to buy Tesco's own brand squeezy honey!
Na.

Stick with slow acting carbs beforehand, and some glucose-rich nutty for the way round (if you're going for long enough).

Even screech poured into your water bottle will suffice.

1ManRiot said:
robbiedont said:
Also Energy bars are overpriced, MUCH cheaper to buy Tesco's own brand squeezy honey!
Na.

Stick with slow acting carbs beforehand, and some glucose-rich nutty for the way round (if you're going for long enough).

Even screech poured into your water bottle will suffice.
Just playing devils advocate but when I have honey before a 6 miler I seem to keep a decent pace for longer

I would say something relating to a article I read, but have no idea where I read it or when so I will keep my gob shut on that :oops:

TheBigUn said:
Guinness! :wink:
CORRRRR!!!!!! Yeahhhhhh!!!! Jonny 5 minutes before you go on your tab drink a glass of Pinapple juice, as its natural sugars are great for giveing you a boost.