• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Best electric guitar?

#1
I am planning on learning to play the electric guitar beginning next year and am hoping you arrsers can give me some advice as to which guitar to get.
I have a budget of about £60 and would like to know which guitar will be best to learn on. I know there are many different makes you can buy but didn't realise until I first started looking that they have such different playing characteristics.
I probably won't be buying a new guitar as I don't think I could buy much more than a Tesco Basic guitar for that money but I'm hoping to be proved wrong!
 
#2
you won't get much for 60 quid. your best bet is getting a really shitty classical guitar an learn on that. thats what i did. its better to learn your barre chords on them as well cos by the time you've got a decent electric itll seem like a piece of piss co the neck will be so small
 
#3
For 60 quid you're wasting your cash, you may as well start saving a bit more and get something a bit more decent.

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/info_1_00063403.html

that's a decent little guitar for the money. Shame you don't live my way, l teach guitar and my rates are reasonable.

Don't forget to buy a chromatic tuner, it'll save you on broken strings.... and good luck, it's a long journey learning the guitar but worthwhile.
 
#4
Do not buy a cheap guitar as it will sound terrible and may spoil your enjoyment of learning to play. You can get a decent starter kit from many music shops that includes aguitar, amplifier and leads for around £150 - £250. My advice if you can not aford a lot is to buy the best amplifier you can afford as the cheaper ones sound shit. Do not buy a 10 Watt practice amp because you will only be playingin your bedroom...when you turn them up the sound distorts horribly. I only play at home but I have a ******* great 50 Watt Marshall....I don't play it too loud but I got it for the sound quality. Second hand is the way forward mate if you don't have a lot of money though. Check out the free ads in your area as people often sell things in there for silly money.
 
#5
lfc2001 said:
you won't get much for 60 quid. your best bet is getting a really shitty classical guitar an learn on that. thats what i did. its better to learn your barre chords on them as well cos by the time you've got a decent electric itll seem like a piece of urine co the neck will be so small
Sorry, I disagree with you. If you want to learn to play classical guitar, then get an acoustic guitar. If you want to learn electric guitar then get an electric guitar. I was taught on a nylon strung acoustic as a youngster and it bored me stupid and very nearly put me off learning at all. I wanted to learn rock guitar and was bored stupid of playing yellow submarine and simon and garfunkel shit. I fucked it off, bought a second hand strat and got another teacher...I now play rock music and am still learning and taking lessons.
 
#6
Best bet is to save the cash up, I wouldn't spend anything less than about £200 on a guitar. If you get to £150, you could probably get something good second hand if you're willing to do so.

http://www.guitars.co.uk/acatalog/Cort_G250.html - This is quite a nice beginners guitar. That was one of my first guitars and I was very pleased with it.

Again, it all depends on what sound you are going for - are you wanting a classic rock, heavy metal, funk etc. - what are you aiming at?
 
#7
I bought a cheap yamaha strat copy in baghdad to keep my hand in and bought a smokey amp from the interweb. Total cost was about £80. Now I am back home, I never play it at all as it sounds cack through my decent amp/effects rig. :D
 
#8
gasmark9 said:
I bought a cheap yamaha strat copy in baghdad to keep my hand in and bought a smokey amp from the interweb. Total cost was about £80. Now I am back home, I never play it at all as it sounds cack through my decent amp/effects rig. :D
It's not so bad when you can already play the guitar a bit, but when you're a completely new guitar player it makes learning disheartening and crap when you play something properly for the first time and it sounds rubbish. Once you can play it, at least if you're using a pants guitar you know that it only sounds pants because of the guitar and you're still working your fingers correctly.
 
#9
the "art" of playing an axe is to get your tuneing up ok... do that right ,,it starts to sound right..
i play with a Gibson meself along with a few others that i have picked up over the years,
the best fun i have had is with a Tenor Banjo,,, all you do is tri,ads ..
get saveing,, its worth the wait,, as then you will find the cost worth the effort. and sound...
 
#10
Rubbish. Sell the wife, divorce the car and live off frozen pizza. Buy yourself a PRS. Not just any old model of course, ask Mr PRS himself to craft you one of his "Eagles" or "Dragons"... you should get change from £20,000... :)
 
#11
Rockstar said:
Rubbish. Sell the wife, divorce the car and live off frozen pizza. Buy yourself a PRS. Not just any old model of course, ask Mr PRS himself to craft you one of his "Eagles" or "Dragons"... you should get change from £20,000... :)
Mmmm, PRS. *drool*

My favourite guitar to date is a simple Stratocaster, though I also quite like Ibanez to get the tighter metaly sound. I've got 14 in total though, because I'm a sad fcuk.
 
#13
Rockstar said:
Rubbish. Sell the wife, divorce the car and live off frozen pizza. Buy yourself a PRS. Not just any old model of course, ask Mr PRS himself to craft you one of his "Eagles" or "Dragons"... you should get change from £20,000... :)
I have 3 PRS guitars and would love a Dragon :D

Also have a BC Rich Kerry King signature model V...awesome sound :D

oh yes, and that dodgy yamaha strat :lol:
 
#14
Dr_Chris said:
gasmark9 said:
I bought a cheap yamaha strat copy in baghdad to keep my hand in and bought a smokey amp from the interweb. Total cost was about £80. Now I am back home, I never play it at all as it sounds cack through my decent amp/effects rig. :D
It's not so bad when you can already play the guitar a bit, but when you're a completely new guitar player it makes learning disheartening and crap when you play something properly for the first time and it sounds rubbish. Once you can play it, at least if you're using a pants guitar you know that it only sounds pants because of the guitar and you're still working your fingers correctly.
Yep, agreed mate...hence my first post ;)
 
#15
gasmark9 said:
Dr_Chris said:
gasmark9 said:
I bought a cheap yamaha strat copy in baghdad to keep my hand in and bought a smokey amp from the interweb. Total cost was about £80. Now I am back home, I never play it at all as it sounds cack through my decent amp/effects rig. :D
It's not so bad when you can already play the guitar a bit, but when you're a completely new guitar player it makes learning disheartening and crap when you play something properly for the first time and it sounds rubbish. Once you can play it, at least if you're using a pants guitar you know that it only sounds pants because of the guitar and you're still working your fingers correctly.
Yep, agreed mate...hence my first post ;)
Aye!

And also regarding the comment on Squire Strat - that is an OK first guitar, agreed. Wouldn't go as far as to say it's comparable to a Fender, but it is a good starter.
 
#16
Ha ha, I've been playing for about 7 years and l still haven't bought a guitar over 500 squid. Got to say, l'm not a fan of PRS, more a Schecter and BC Rich fan, have recently purchased a Moser Bastard and that is winging it's way to me as we speak that would have cost a pretty penny if my mate wasn't endorsed by them. It's good to have well placed friends.
 
#17
The general theme in the above posts is bang on in my opinion; it is well worth buying quality, especially as a beginner.

I bought my first guitar and amp 10 years ago, a Gibson Les Paul Studio and a Marshall AVT100 amp, and I still have exactly the same setup. I intend to keep the guitar for ever and the amp for as long as it lasts.
 
#18
I think my first full sized guitar was a Squire Strat with the amp that came with it and I got on very well with it. As you get more experienced, you'll know what to spend extra money on as you'll have discovered your own sound a bit more, knowing what you want to achieve by buying a certain guitar. Just for use at home I've got my Stratocaster running through a Marshall MG100HDFX half stack, sometimes stick the guitar through a Zakk Wylde overdrive pedal if I need a bit of extra gain.

No need to have millions of racks of effects gear, any stuff you need you will only know about having got the feel of playing the guitar and finding the limitations of it, don't get conned into getting all sorts of expensive gear for a year or so at least, just get your hands working properly first and get to know the guitar itself.

I agree the advice provided here is top notch! I just go into rant mode when it comes to guitars. :D
 
#19
Well, at the moment, I am playing through a Marshal MG 50 DFX and using Digitech pedals (Bad Monkey, Grunge and Death Metal). I did spend a lot of time trying to emulate various types of sounds but I have now found what I like to call "my sound" and I love it :D
 
#20
I have a few Ibanez electrics(1 Les Paul model from 1975) and I must say they are the dogs b0ll0cks!
They play like a dream and the sound is superb!
I have a Squire Telecaster too,but compared to the Ibanez the neck feels like a club.
Bear in mind that a good amp is also half the work.
I play through a Engl 50 watt all tube.
 

Latest Threads