best dust off the harrier fleet then

What does any of that have to do with the US delaying the F-35B?
You should know by now lsquared jumps up on his soap box at every opportunity, relevant or not to the thread.

RAF F35 Bs wouln't be as bad as many make them out to be. In fact because they would still be carrier capable with the QE class (STOVL) then it actually increases the potential for overseas operations in a time of crisis at short notice. Assembling a CAG of FAA manned F35Cs off of the CATOBAR carrier and the STOVL aircraft from the other carrier kept at high readiness. That is if cameroon&co don't sell of HMS Queen Elizabeth and scrap PoW.

Muppets.

RAF F35 Bs wouln't be as bad as many make them out to be. In fact because they would still be carrier capable with the QE class (STOVL) then it actually increases the potential for overseas operations in a time of crisis at short notice. Assembling a CAG of FAA manned F35Cs off of the CATOBAR carrier and the STOVL aircraft from the other carrier kept at high readiness. That is if cameroon&co don't sell of HMS Queen Elizabeth and scrap PoW.

Muppets.
There is absolutely no truth in the rumour that the FAA is looking at getting hold of some Harriers and manning them with FTRS pilots to at least maintain some sort of fixed-wing expertise in the FAA be it reserve or Reg.

There is absolutely no truth in the rumour that the FAA is looking to farm as many of its current fixed wing pilots out to an FA18 sqn in the US or Canada to maintain some sort of fixed-wing expertise in the FAA. Crab pilots need not apply for such posts.

There is absolutely no truth in the rumour that the RAF have used the SDSR as an excuse to further their own agenda whilst maintaining no ability to project force from anything less than the manpower and logistic footprint of RAF Brize Norton - absolutely none whatsoever.

The next few months are going to be very interesting for those interested in such aviation matters.

I thought during Op Iraqi Freedom, Marine Corp AV8B's were refuelled and re-armed from unprepared strips close to the Iraqi border, which enabled them to achieve much higher sortie rates, and faster response/longer loiter over target on CAS missions, compared to Navy FA18's that used most of their fuel load on a long commute to and from carriers held a "safe" distance back down the Gulf, or Airforce aircraft flying from bases further south in Saudi.
AV-8's contributed a negligible amount of effect. The CAS big hitters of OIF, just like Desert Storm were the F-16's and F/A-18's.

The whole idea of STOVL/VSTOL was that you weren't tied to major airfields and vulnerable to anyone who could field airfield denial weapons/artillery. OK, if you are the Americans, then for ten years at least, it is safe to assume you will always have total air superiority, but can we really assume the same?
STVOL is a a solution still looking for a problem. Lets just take the current AV-8 for starters. Load it up with a decent, (but still rather small), weapons load and it's needs a decent 4-500 yds of take off run. Impressive compared to a typical fast jet of the 60's that needed 1-2000 yds to get airborne, but not all that impressive compared to current fast jets that can get off the ground in much the same take off run.

The claim that STVOL does not tie us to airfields is one of those concepts that rarely seems to actually play out in the real world. Ditto the idea of losing air superiority - Can you name any realistic adversary who has the neccessary capability to stop the RAF achieving air superiorty? The only current fighter that has a clear advantage over the Typhoon is the USA's F-22 Raptor, are we looking to pick a fight with the USA?

Can a Hornet fly off the USS Wasp LHD etc or the new America class LHA?
The mainstay of USMC CAS is their F/A-18 Hornets. They have 13 Hornet Sqns vs 7 AV-8 Sqns.

The USMC has 167 AH-1 Super Cobras that also provide CAS. Losing the tricksy STVOL planes will not be a big issue for them.

Muppets.

Except the F-35B is rapidly turning into a development fiasco that is already years late and had to have it's range and weapons load capabilities slashed just to get it to take off.

Right or wrong, this is the essence of the argument that persuaded the RAF to buy into a joint-fleet with the FAA for the Harrier/Tornado/Jaguar replacement: JSF. Hence why the RAF was able to get on board the F-35B without too much fuss. In fact, they were more enthusiastic on the -B than the FAA.

Given that the F-35C is now the JSF of choice for HMG, the RAF is now going to have to take into its inventory an inferior aircraft (relative to the -A) at significantly greater cost (approx 40%) for no discernable tactical advantage other than they can lend aircraft to the FAA on demand. Unless of course, the unannounced detail of SDSR means two different versions of the F-35 are going to be in the UK inventory. ;)

To be fair, although the F-35A is the cheaper and 'hotter' of the bunch, it is rather too close a match in outright performance to the Typhoon we already have. The argument in favour of the F-35C is its longer range that allows it to provide a very good fit as a replacement for the Tornado GR4 as the RAF's primary long range strike platform.

And it provides something that the Navy can shoot off the end of their flat grey war canoe/s in ten years time.

Realistically we won't consider the F-18. It will be out of date in 10 years and outclassed in 20, when the F-35 will be in its prime. We are buying aircraft to last beyond 2050 not 2030. The f-35 in its various guises is the only game in town for us despite its higher cost.

You should know by now lsquared jumps up on his soap box at every opportunity, relevant or not to the thread.
It might give the failed soviet union time to catch up. Oh no, they failed and it won't.

To be fair, although the F-35A is the cheaper and 'hotter' of the bunch, it is rather too close a match in outright performance to the Typhoon we already have. The argument in favour of the F-35C is its longer range that allows it to provide a very good fit as a replacement for the Tornado GR4 as the RAF's primary long range strike platform.
What are you smoking?

F-35A anticipated range: >1,200 - combat radius >590nm
F-35A CTOL Variant | Lockheed Martin

F-35C anticipated range: >1,200 - combat radius >640nm
F-35C CV Variant | Lockheed Martin

I can see that additional 50nm makes all the difference. ;)

I don't understand the point of your post. Especially the title.

UK is now planning to purchase F-35C version and will only have a carrier to put them on circa 2020.

How would dusting off the Harrier help us?
Oh, are we getting rid of the Harrier then?

Still sat in their hangers here. No news on what's next but you never know what next week will bring here at the moment. As for FAA pilots not being farmed out to maintain currency by going to the US or France; the NSW pilots I have spoken to are all hoping for this especially after the First Sea Lord said this was his plan.

Niether is the soviet union whitecity, deal with it. Sorry fm for hijacking your post.
Well I can't see how that extra 50nm combat radius will help us defeat Russia toe-to-toe.

Please enlighten me what you see that I'm missing.

Well I can't see how that extra 50nm combat radius will help us defeat Russia toe-to-toe.

Please enlighten me what you see that I'm missing.
Russia doesn't need defeating, third world countries don't bother us too much, even if they have a bit of gas and a lardy arsed PM. Love putin, are you blowing him this weekend.

su 27 was cool, 20 years ago.

Russia doesn't need defeating, third world countries don't bother us too much, even if they have a bit of gas and a lardy arsed PM. Love putin, are you blowing him this weekend.

su 27 was cool, 20 years ago.
You've lost me. Bad comm drills. Are you on the sauce again tonight?

You've lost me. Bad comm drills. Are you on the sauce again tonight?
Not really, just laughing at you again while you think russia is cool and important, with sauce.