best dust off the harrier fleet then

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Grumblegrunt, Jan 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

Pentagon delays F-35, buys more Boeing fighters | Reuters

so the US is delaying the f35 to save cash and buying f18s to fill any gaps in spending. so it looks like 2016 before we get a carrier jet to respond to anything on the world stage.

I like the reasoning behind the US not cutting anymore spending because europe is downsizing so fast.
  2. Except we're not buying the USMC F-35B version now and the F-35C version we are buying we don't want until 2020 anyway.

A non story for us.
  3. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

Indeed. Still bet US DoD is wishing it'd picked the F-32 instead, though.
  4. Think the FA-18E/F would be a great choice. Mature design, future proofed, highly capable, and pretty much available immediately.
  5. It ticks all our boxes.
  6. That is the main reason we won't buy them
  7. I don't understand the point of your post. Especially the title.

UK is now planning to purchase F-35C version and will only have a carrier to put them on circa 2020.

How would dusting off the Harrier help us?

8. Never let the facts get in the way of a good outrage bus ticket. :)
  9. Alot of RN supporters and others were a little dismayed when the SDSR announced the decision to go for the F-35C rather than the B. Without rehashing old arguments, it seems to look like the decision was, perhaps, not really of 'our' doing. I mean, the future of the -B is looking pretty shakey and I have no doubt that the recent US decisions were relayed to the MoD either directly or via BAe in advance of the SDSR.
  10. A few years ago, a previous US Defence Sec asked the USMC the very pointed questions when the B model started slipping and it;s cost taking off: What exactly do you need STVOL for? What do your AV-8's do your Hornets can't do just as well?
    Lots of shuffling and looking at the ground apparently.
  11. Can a Hornet fly off the USS Wasp LHD etc or the new America class LHA?
  12. Never let the facts get in the way of a good pet-project promotion bus ticket. :)

13. Bit late for that now I reckon. Too much time and effort has been put into the F-35. Would have been a great idea ten years ago.
  14. I thought during Op Iraqi Freedom, Marine Corp AV8B's were refuelled and re-armed from unprepared strips close to the Iraqi border, which enabled them to achieve much higher sortie rates, and faster response/longer loiter over target on CAS missions, compared to Navy FA18's that used most of their fuel load on a long commute to and from carriers held a "safe" distance back down the Gulf, or Airforce aircraft flying from bases further south in Saudi. The whole idea of STOVL/VSTOL was that you weren't tied to major airfields and vulnerable to anyone who could field airfield denial weapons/artillery. OK, if you are the Americans, then for ten years at least, it is safe to assume you will always have total air superiority, but can we really assume the same?
  15. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

Never a truer word.