Best Damn Movie Music

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Rocketeer, Aug 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ...was reminiscing with some buds on another site about what's the best score/theme from a flick..Some of them actually elevate and maybe save the picture and outlast the film their tied to..

My top five in ascending order:

5: Ennio Morricone - the spaghetti westerns:-
    Fistful/ Few More/GoodBadUgly..
    every whistle and grunt conjures up Squinin' Clint and his cheroot..notable stuff..
    4: Vangelis - Chariots of Fire - you just got to run in slo-mo along a beach, truly inspirational.
    3: Morricone, again - The Mission - haunting..the guy doesn't have a false note in his repertoire
    2: Trevor Jones/Randy Edelman : they managed to make Daniel Day Lewis look good and Madeleine Stowe desirable - The Last of the Mohicans

1: - guy wrote over 50 movie soundtracks, but, mention his name and you get a blank stare until you say three words.

Elmer Bernstein : The Magnificent Seven

the antidote to Brokeback Mountain
  2. Would not argue with any of those, but would add, in no particular order:

Klaus Doldinger - Das Boot

Eric Coates - The Dam Busters March

Morricone (again) - Chi Mai (Life & Times of David Lloyd George although nicked by the Beeb from Maddalena, which I have not seen)
  3. Rachmaninov - Theme on a Rhapsody by Paganini - theme to Somewhere in Time with Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour, absolutely beautiful classical music.

Once Upon a Time in America - Ennio Morricone

When you wish upon a star - from Pinocchio

All right I'm a soppy bastard, what you going to do about it??????
  4. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I agree with the list don't forget Bernstein also did this bad boy

However I think I will include John Williams on mine

45 Oscar nominations for best original music including

Star Wars
    Indiana Jones
    Schindlers List
    Saving Private Ryan

Not bad to have them on your C.V.
  5. By Any Other Name by Thomas Newman - perfectly complemented American Beauty
  6. I think that John Barry's Bond theme is a cracker.

I'd add Ron Grainer who wrote mostly stuff for tv such as the Dr. Who theme, Steptoe & Son and the brilliant accordion solo introducing Maigret.

As for accordion music the intro to the fillum - 'Is Paris Burning' is one of my favourites.
  7. Gladiator...especially "The Battle"
  8. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I like a lot of the Lord of the Rings soundtrack although some of it (the 'heavier' classical parts) really does need the movie and does not stand alone.

The Rob Roy soundtrack is good; stirring and evocative of Scottish glens and mountains.

Go to go with Gladiator as well.
  9. Come on what about Kenny Loggins?

The man's a genius.
  10. Pulp Fiction

Especially Miserlou Dick Dale and the Deltones, and Comanche by The Revels

11. I like the score to 'Collateral'
    I also really like the music from 'Ghost Dog; the way of the samurai' by Rza from Wu Tang Clan
    On a more epic and grand musical score i love the music in 'Perfume; the story of a murderer' just beautiful music that makes moments in the film so much more powerful, and make your hairs stand on edge.
  12. Hans Zimmer, behind more film music than you can shake a stick at.
  13. This is excellent! Strong memories of Ten Tors with this one, as they play it on loudspeakers when teams are setting up in the morning. Supreme.

Similarly, I'd recommend Vangelis' "Conquest of Paradise" for the film of the same name.