Best DAB Replacement Radio?

Apologies if previously posted by anyone else. Any recommendations on a decent DAB radio with Bluetooth to replace the existing FM one in my van?

Last edited:
Roberts Ecologic.
Superb kitchen radio. Will run on batteries if you want portable.
Sensible controls, decent sound, bass & treble controls, good on FM too.
1548448746968.png

Avoid the rubber finish Pure ones like this:
1548448868067.png

The rubber finish goes tacky after a couple of years. The menu system is utterly crap too. Whereas the Roberts has 10 presents requiring no more than max 2 button presses (only one if you want preset 1-5), with the Pure you first need to find the "stations" button (second on down on the right if you can read the tiny print) then twiddle the slippery silver knob, then press the knob to select. Utter sh!te. I know this because I bought one for Junior 1 which I have now been given back and lives in the garage.

Roberts are cheaper too.

Correction for not reading the original post properly. My excuse is that I've not been drinking.

BLAUPUNKT: Car Radio

Kenwood Kenwood KMM-504DAB. About £100. Cheap and sounds ok,

Blaupunkt Dortmund £150 ish - much better
1548451293522.png

The Stockholm is better again and has DAB+ but £200 ish.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
If it were feasible, I'd install a Wi-Fi hub and plug in an Amazon Echo (other devices are available). Music has fallen of the cliff in the last year (I predicted the death of music about 1971 when Chicory Tip brought the Moog synthesizer to popular music. I enjoyed the song Son of My Father, but I was right when I saw it dumbing music down. It was a long, slow death, and not painful until about the turn of the millennium. This last year, IMHO, Music died).

Get an Echo or similar and simply ask it to play your preferred music. No news or traffic interrupts (unless you ask), no adverts, no inane drivel between tracks, no cutting off the classic outros like November Rain, Wuthering Heights, etc, no talking over the intros. And no sh¡t modern SPAM (Stuff Posing As Music) every other track because the producer insists the DJ plays the current music A list. Want an entire album? Just ask.

You actually want to listen to radio? "Alexa, play Wave 105," for example.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Last edited:
I predicted the death of music about 1971
I put this date down to the mid-80's when digital recording came in and bands didn't have to try so hard anymore because things could be 'fixed' in the studio without the band having to be there.
And I agree about the echo, although Planet Rock does provide me with enjoyable DAB listening.

Last edited:

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Just told Alexa to play Wave 105- seems pretty ad heavy.
Wave is okay during the weekday breakfast slot because there is a degree of anarchy among the three presenters, and I can listen to the gridlock across the whole South Hants area, that I no longer have to drive. Carries over at 9 to a golden hour, usually 70s-80s, which is okay, but otherwise that's it.

Subtly edited my previous post for clarity.

Correction for not reading the original post properly. My excuse is that I've not been drinking.

BLAUPUNKT: Car Radio

Kenwood Kenwood KMM-504DAB. About £100. Cheap and sounds ok,

Blaupunkt Dortmund £150 ish - much better
View attachment 373880

The Stockholm is better again and has DAB+ but £200 ish.
Are Blaupunkt radios any good these days? ISTR that Blaupunkt TV's are made by the same people that make Technika TVs for Tesco, for example.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Are Blaupunkt radios any good these days? ISTR that Blaupunkt TV's are made by the same people that make Technika TVs for Tesco, for example.
This is correct. I have a Blaupunkt TV and it's entirely satisfactory, though relegated to the computer room after the then second TV went pop last month. Replaced with a smart Samsung that plays two-hour Floyd concerts off YouTube without missing a beat.

Blaupunkt radios are still fine.
They are less "flashing light interface" than Sony et al - which is good in my eyes.
Mate put a new Panasonic in his classic MG a cople of years ago it it was hateful. Kept flashing up messages, scrolling sh!t across the screen etc. Very distracting, especially at night.

Turned out that buried in the setting menu you could turn off all the distracting flashing lights but it was far from obvious how.

Blaupunket seem to have less crap and more quality.

If it were feasible, I'd install a Wi-Fi hub and plug in an Amazon Echo (other devices are available). Music has fallen of the cliff in the last year (I predicted the death of music about 1971 when Chicory Tip brought the Moog synthesizer to popular music. I enjoyed the song Son of My Father, but I was right when I saw it dumbing music down. It was a long, slow death, and not painful until about the turn of the millennium. This last year, IMHO, Music died) . . . .
Don McLean WALT :) !!

What do American Pie's lyrics really mean?

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
I bought a technika flatscreen in 2008 that was brilliant for the price and still working perfectly when I passed it on to a friend eight years later. solid build quality and I more than got my moneys worth out of it.