Best course you you ever went on?

I would think of it more as doing something constructive with my pink chinagraph pencil, but whatever. I was young free and single, they're all pink inside, and you're a long time dead.

I heard she went on to work at RMAS Library a few years later.

Which might have had a few Staff College students in a cold sweat, who had got know her in her JDSC prime . . . despite their MARISTAT :-D
Interesting, I rather thought she was cosy with a Para at the time. She was letched from afar as we IDB chaps went over to do our thing at the School of Insanity!

CET Crewman:

RAC Bovington: month long course 1980 from Germany , no weekly Active Edge, no parades, no bull, no guard duties, Armoured Corps bods left us alone , mustered at the garages and played all day on the CET's. Back in time for top notch food in the mess, passing the time clocking the different coloured woolly pullies and trousers- red trousers anyone?

Lent a minibus for trips out to Durdle Door/Weymouth, Swanage or Poole on Wednesday afternoons for the non- golfing types.

After a month of bliss, qualified as a CET operator and back to Bratwurst Land for back to back month- long exercises broken up with even more Active Edges and digging big holes for Chieftains all over Soltau and Hohne which made Bovington seem like a dream that ever happened.

Funnily enough, kept bumping into the same Tankies there and at BATUS time and time again, the lads were great-the Wodneys , crusty types but each to their own I suppose.

Interesting, I rather thought she was cosy with a Para at the time. She was letched from afar as we IDB chaps went over to do our thing at the School of Insanity!
I'll simply say that she was not inclined to monogamy in her salad days . . . nor was capbadge high on her list of selection criteria :-D

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs
Did a two day postie course. Exam on day two. I thought we needed an end of course piss up (day one).
I left the pub at 0530 leaving the female instructor getting fingered.... She turned up at 1000 and knocked us off.... Slept in car until 1700. Oh and got some jeans from the PX in JHQ

Last edited:
The best one I ever went on I paid for myself. Bill Rogers Shooting School, where the US send many of it's SF and top end Federal shooty people. I was pointed at the course by a Navy SEAL, I did not totally embarass myself the first time I went but, close to it. I have been a couple or three more times since and every time there is a noticeable improvement in my performance - being called a competent gunfighter by a respected, retired, senior member of one of the top, tier 1, US SF groups made my head grow several hat sizes. The personalities you meet on the course are unbelievable and the dit's they tell should be written up for posterity but, sadly can't be.

The Bill Rogers Shooting School, where the US send many of it's SF and top end Federal shooty people. I was pointed at the course by a Navy SEAL, I did not totally embarass myself the first time I went but, close to it....being called a competent gunfighter by a respected, retired, senior member of one of the top, tier 1, US SF groups made my head grow several hat sizes. The personalities you meet on the course are unbelievable and the dit's they tell should be written up for posterity but, sadly can't be.
Snipped for brevity.
yeah-im-kind-of-a-big-deal.jpg

A one week Unit projectionist course at Bicester, IIRC, the home of the RPC, two of us turned up in mufti, shirts ties, grey flannel strides, smart black jackets and black leather shoes, me wearing gold rimmed specks, was instantly assumed to be an hofficer, some young sprog insisted taking my suitcase, both of us just signalmen, 8 on the course, Food good, accommodation OK, Plenty of free time, no duty's, What I can remember of town centre was that it was no better or worse than any other town of that era, plenty of watering holes, a few nosh shops, An easy week away from BLC Hounslow, and the sustained bombing campaign of london by the IRA. All this was way back in the stone age, 1974.

Silberhutte Germany, Some Outbound Leadership course, fanbloodymarverlous’. Spent the days 10 of them, wandering around the Hartz Mountains, setting me up with a love of the Mountains which still exists to this day. Treated like Men and leaders, which strangely enough was the whole point of the fortnight. Evenings spent in the nearest town (forgotten the name of the place, but it had an Ice-Rink which had a great Imbiss) getting hammered and a lift back to the Hut providing I wasn’t knee deep in the local talent othwise it was a long walk back to the hut. Part of the course was casualty evacuation, for which I. Was voulentiered nominated as the casualty, turned out not bad in the end as I was extracted on a stretcher instead of walking down the mountain. Years later post-reunification I took Mrs. RM on holiday and found ourselves on top of the mountainvia a little railway. Years previously the border between east and west and the border fence had run over the top, it was really weird to actually stand on the eastern side looking west. Also managed later in the holiday to show her where we regularly did border patrols but the fence had long gone, but the Gaststube which we bunked down in was not. When they found out I was one of the fasands that had protected them from the rapping Russkie hordes, the treated us both like royalty.
Interesting that the 1936 Olympic Wintergames Ski Jump was still in place although well decrepit.

Silberhutte Germany, Some Outbound Leadership course, fanbloodymarverlous’. Spent the days 10 of them, wandering around the Hartz Mountains, setting me up with a love of the Mountains which still exists to this day. Treated like Men and leaders, which strangely enough was the whole point of the fortnight. Evenings spent in the nearest town (forgotten the name of the place, but it had an Ice-Rink which had a great Imbiss) getting hammered and a lift back to the Hut providing I wasn’t knee deep in the local talent othwise it was a long walk back to the hut. Part of the course was casualty evacuation, for which I. Was voulentiered nominated as the casualty, turned out not bad in the end as I was extracted on a stretcher instead of walking down the mountain. Years later post-reunification I took Mrs. RM on holiday and found ourselves on top of the mountainvia a little railway. Years previously the border between east and west and the border fence had run over the top, it was really weird to actually stand on the eastern side looking west. Also managed later in the holiday to show her where we regularly did border patrols but the fence had long gone, but the Gaststube which we bunked down in was not. When they found out I was one of the fasands that had protected them from the rapping Russkie hordes, the treated us both like royalty.
Interesting that the 1936 Olympic Wintergames Ski Jump was still in place although well decrepit.

Thanks for the memory kick, I also went there, I remember taking photos of the Russian monitoring station on the Bruken ( Check spelling!) , and wandering through the hills surrounding the hutte, and finding in amouns't the trees, an old grilled manhole entry , I was told it was an air duct, feeding the tunnels of the NAZI V1 factory complex built into the surrounding hills. I taught basic one pitch climbing there.

C&G Marine Radio and Radar Technicians. Took me away from a life of drugs to a life of being responsible for other people's safety - and making phone calls to their girlfriends...