Best country's ration packs

Hi, I was hoping you guys at arrse could help me out - I'm a reporter at The Times, and I've spent a week living off a different nation's rations each day (French were excellent if impractical, German involved a lot of wurst...). What do you guys think of the standard UK packs, or other nationalities? What do you like, what do you hate, what do you chuck away? Any thoughts gratefully received...

Best? The tubes of margarine, jam and condensed milk. Processed cheese.

Worst? The tracing paper toilet paper. All two sheets of it.

What do I think? I thnk reporters suck the life out of humanity and are despicable intruders of peoples privacy. If you want answers, do a bit of work as sundance says.

I have done a bit of work. I've spent five days living off ration packs, interviewed ex and serving soldiers, and eaten a sandwich with a shelf life of four years. None of which involved hacking anyone's phones...

Now I was just throwing the net wider and looking for some anecdotes or thoughts - and have taken up sundance's kind suggestion and am also having a look through the archives here. If you don't want to answer, no probs.

Five days on rat packs and reduced to eating a manky sarny, well looks like life at News International is beginning to approach reality.

I have done a bit of work. I've spent five days living off ration packs, interviewed ex and serving soldiers, and eaten a sandwich with a shelf life of four years. None of which involved hacking anyone's phones...

Now I was just throwing the net wider and looking for some anecdotes or thoughts - and have taken up sundance's kind suggestion and am also having a look through the archives here. If you don't want to answer, no probs.

woo, five days...you must know everything then. Whats the intention of this information gathering? Who are you going to screw over for your bonus now?

and yes I am ******* grumpy today, but even if I wasn't I would still say the same to you journalist types.

I like jam and I like biscuits.

I wish they wouldn't put the ******* 'omlette' in everything though. Does anyone know what it actually is? All I'm sure of is that it definately is not an omlette.

Cabana, I'm not claiming doing five days on ration packs makes me a member of the SAS - just pointing out that this isn't a lazy fishing exercise. The purpose of the piece is to write an essentially harmless, hopefully humourous, article pegged to the fact that the UK packs have been changed a bit recently. I don't intend to screw anyone over for my bonus - firstly because I write for the food section, which generally doesn't do investigative news/character assassinations (more articles on why lobster/free range sheep are the next big thing), and secondly because I don't get a bonus.

D

Deleted 20555

The reason people don't like journo's is because you ask such stupid fecking questions in your quest for some sort of idea of what to write since you obviously have no idea of what to say yourself.

Tell your editor next time he wants someone to comment on military rations, sleeping bags, boots, what type of rifle is best, is the current light machine gun good enough, whether the helicopters are comfy enough and whether there is a chance of having a bitch and whine about how the gov is not spending money on "Our brave boys" who in real life you'd avoid at any costs to go and hire someone who actually knows something about soldiering rather than coming and bothering us.

I think the lamb curry is spot on, mainly because with the rice its a bit like having 2 meals. The portions i think are way to small, but things seem to be improving constantly.

The Yank rations are mind boggling, i thought one of the brown bags they get issued was for one day, as if the fat knackres use 3 of them a day! Good suppliments with them but i think there meals are really bad and they never seem to get hot all the way through. They go crazy for our rations though and will swap torches, knives and even seen one pay for them.

Chechnya----We ate Cabbage soup and big loafs of bread...and if we was good boys...they would throw in a goats leg to share between 10 men.

As for a ideal ration pack....A packet of Naswar goes a very long way...it oppresses your hunger and also keeps you alert.

Mattb: Ah, I didn't have the pleasure of the omelette in mine...sounds a delight. One question though - are these things deliberately designed to make everyone fart continuously? I would have thought that combat effectiveness might be compromised by the stink mine produced.

Hi, I was hoping you guys at arrse could help me out - I'm a reporter at The Times, and I've spent a week living off a different nation's rations each day (French were excellent if impractical, German involved a lot of wurst...). What do you guys think of the standard UK packs, or other nationalities? What do you like, what do you hate, what do you chuck away? Any thoughts gratefully received...
Talking about food does get boring after a while

Dunno what they are like now but the Brit 5 man and ten man packs used to be the dogs bollocks. I was with the yanks for a while in Canada and tho get a decent meal out of their c rats, you had to eat the cardboard box and the tins as well. Its all very well having posh things like saltine crackers, but you need more than two with a teaspoon of cheese. German rats were quite good back then - a lot of soups and pork stuff.

Don't laugh but Vietnamese rations are actually quite good. Mostly it's a log of sticky rice with a centre of pork and chilli, wrapped up in banana leaves, tied with string. As it is boiled for ages it remains sterile inside for a long time. When you want to eat some just unwrap an end and use the string to cut a slice off. No need even for chop sticks.

Deleted 20555, our chief war correspondent served in the first Gulf War, and our Foreign Editor also did a stint in the army. Unfortunately, food writers don't necessarily have to have a full military background as a requirement. So, in order that we can write about a topic effectively we have to ask people who do. That's all I was doing here. I haven't actually been asked to chat to soldiers about the packs, I was just asked by my editor to eat them. But I thought it would make my piece better to get a perspective from people in the know. If you don't want to answer though, no compulsion at all.

Thanks everyone else for your tips and suggestions.

Cabana, I'm not claiming doing five days on ration packs makes me a member of the SAS - just pointing out that this isn't a lazy fishing exercise. The purpose of the piece is to write an essentially harmless, hopefully humourous, article pegged to the fact that the UK packs have been changed a bit recently. I don't intend to screw anyone over for my bonus - firstly because I write for the food section, which generally doesn't do investigative news/character assassinations (more articles on why lobster/free range sheep are the next big thing), and secondly because I don't get a bonus.
The problem is journos like to take harmless information and spin it into something. For example, if a soldier told a journo he hated cheese possessed, the headlines we could see are "Army gives haunted cheese to soldiers outrage" or "Why does the army give hated cheese to soldiers" or some such nonsense, I haven't got the imagination or will to put spin on things as you journalists do.

Just for the record, when I was in I much preferred Brit rations to other nations, although I only had French, German and Yank. I admit, the yank ones were quite good as well.