Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best chemical drain cleaner ?

As per title , recently moved house and the bog/sink drains play up occasionally , bog came close to overflowing last night , short of having Dynajet out are there any good chemical solutions I can get off the shelf ? nothing that melts plastic! .

964ST

War Hero
Is it possible to get access from outside the property to the drains?

A kärcher high pressure pipe cleaner (10m), a hose that has a ball end copper head that drives the pipe forward and clear debris.

Chemical solutions are numerous, but a two component mix would be my choice If I could not clear the blockage mechanically.

A plumbers merchant will stock industrial strength drain cleaner. An acid based cleaner is fine with plastic sewer pipes etc.

It sounds like you might need to invest in a set a of drain rods though because it’s possible you might have some kind of partial blockage somewhere because it’s a recurring problem.

If you do, get a decent set like rothernbergs for around £30 odd quid. The only thing worse than a blocked drain is having a blocked drain with a broken drain rod stuck in it because you brought a cheap set from Argos or somewhere.

Don’t forget a couple of pairs of rubber gloves for the missus and the kid so they can keep their hands dry while pushing and pulling the rods.

A fraction of the price of dynajet.

PS: don’t forget when rodding, keep turning the rods to the right. Never to the left. Turning them to the left unscrews them. Keep going to the right!

Last edited:

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I would recommend my usual DIY answer.

Puss

Clanker
I've had success with this before:

Cleaning-Supplies-Rhino-Non-Acidic-Drain-Unblocker-1L~GPID_1100320002_00

Nasty stuff, recommend gloves. Don't drink it. Don't use it on chrome plated fittings (that was an expensive mistake).

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I go down the builders merchants and get the powerful stuff called dambuster
make sure you wear gloves and eye protection though
its powerful ju ju
always try to open up manholes first, and remove any tree roots or plant life
clear all gullies as well
and if you have any flexible pan couplers on the bakc of the karzi, stick a new one on, the corrugated sections can clog up badly
also check how much water is going down with each flush, modern loos are useless

I go down the builders merchants and get the powerful stuff called dambuster
make sure you wear gloves and eye protection though
its powerful ju ju
always try to open up manholes first, and remove any tree roots or plant life
clear all gullies as well
and if you have any flexible pan couplers on the bakc of the karzi, stick a new one on, the corrugated sections can clog up badly
also check how much water is going down with each flush, modern loos are useless
Just found some Dambuster at my local Wolseley , £32.00 a liter , think its just sulphuric acid , still much cheaper than a rodding co if it works , what do you do , just chuck the lot down the pan ?

964ST

War Hero
You could use reverse technology(and it is eco friendly)!
Drain the U bend, get a „wild rat“ put it in the Bowl, Cover the toilet with a secure medium (clingfoil will Not be up to the job!) and the rats instinct will eat through the debris of life? to save its own life.

If you use a normal rat, there is a more than high risk that it has a „Homing Instinct!“, then using the crapper without a stick readily to Hand would not be prudent!

You could use reverse technology(and it is eco friendly)!
Drain the U bend, get a „wild rat“ put it in the Bowl, Cover the toilet with a secure medium (clingfoil will Not be up to the job!) and the rats instinct will eat through the debris of life? to save its own life.

If you use a normal rat, there is a more than high risk that it has a „Homing Instinct!“, then using the crapper without a stick readily to Hand would not be prudent!
I can see that carrying that plan out it will end up biting me on the arrse.

Bit of petrol.. Pour it down the drain. Leave it a few minutes then ignite it.
The blockage will be shifted and any residue will be burnt away and will go downstream with the next flush.

Don't listen to that bloke in the Purple robes, he'll take the piss.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Just found some Dambuster at my local Wolseley , £32.00 a liter , think its just sulphuric acid , still much cheaper than a rodding co if it works , what do you do , just chuck the lot down the pan ?
Its Alkaline, dont use the whole lot, use it sparingly a cupful at a time, has instructiosn with it
I usually open up the manhole first and have a good looksee then clean that out
but it might just be contamination caused by uric acid or limescale
make sure the windows int he room are open, and no smoking
its nasty stuff, it burnt a dead rat out that was blocking the drain on one job
get a set of drain rods while you are at it, they will repay their costs over a year
plus the big black thick rubber acid proof gloves, all sold at the merchants
I wear a pair of safety goggles just in case
usually if its the loo, I empty as much water out as I can using a small container or spone then tip the acid in
its scary popping bubbling and fizzing like the end of the world, then gently add water using a jug to stop splashes and it will work its way around the bends, listen for the noises and fizzing
you may have to sign the poisons register when you collect it
and have a cup of coffee and read the instructions fully
we have unblocked loads of draisn with that
but i always open the manhole first and check for root stock, and junk like polybags ,

Be aware of what's going down the toilet. We used to have a blocked sewer pipe about 3-4 times a year; there's a crack in the pipe about 20m along that snags 'stuff' but it's under a lot of block paving so I can't be arsed sorting out just yet. I noticed that the current mrs_mush had been putting kitchen towels down the loo when she had been cleaning in there.

I pointed out that toilet tissue is designed to break up and fragment upon contact with water, whereas kitchen roll is designed not to.

Since then we've not had a blockage (finger's crossed)

Soda crystals are cheap as chips and available from supermarkets. They're also excellent for removing tea stains from cups.

PS: don’t forget when rodding, keep turning the rods to the right. Never to the left. Turning them to the left unscrews them. Keep going to the right!
You can get lock fast rods that allow you to turn them anti-clockwise but it's wise to do that only as a last resort.

You could also try plunging the bowl with a large plunger as you plunge keep adding water

Don't forget the most important advice, which those above seem to have missed.

Keep telling everybody within earshot, 'It's a shit job, but somebody's got to do it'.

Latest Threads