Best career options.....?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by carlbcfc, Sep 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Joining the army is something ive wanted to do for years but due to a job the years just past without me doing anything about it. Now its time, but as its a BIG decision that will take me away from my kids it has to be the right decision and career path for their future as much as mine.

I want to learn a trade that will take me through the rest of my life, that pays. When i say "pays" i mean one that pays in the civvy st.

8 GCSE's D-G inc E in English, Match and Science, but seriously i didnt do the coursework, more intrested in playing footy after school at 14/15 so i know i never reached my potential.

Not got a clue, thats why im asking for ideas/experiance so i can make the right choice...
  2. So D was your highest GCSE? Not slating you or anything, but the REME offer good trades, as do the RE. I'm not up to speed on what grades are required to get the positions though.

I'd recommend a walk (unless you want to steal another car and drive? ;) ) to your local ACIO and sit down for a chat. They will be up to speed, and will give you advice. They will also be able to tell you what the Army can offer. There are a lot of career paths in the Army that you won't have heard about. It's worth a look in.
  3. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

As someone told you on your other thread, your best bet is to toddle down to your local ACIO (or go on line) and see what you think. If you have got a few O levels then look for something other than Inf (you are probably too old to want to be running about with BIG weights on your back).

But don't hang about - you aren't getting any younger, and if you are joining into one of the technical Corps it will take a while to get through training etc.
  4. Ha Ha ill get train mate, thoese days are long gone.

Actually no not even a D, the highest was E's in Science, Maths and English. Its a shame all i had to show for 11 years of educations was that. I was in all the top sets, pissed the SATS and Mocks, (A-C student at 13/14) but due to my own fault and pressure to fit in and f*ck around i never got what i should have. Im am actually quite good at maths, can spell, read, im knowledgeable, enjoy learning new things, not a computer expert but can usually solve my own problems with a little reasearch.
  5. I dont think you can use any of your GCSE's; iirc the lowest that they ask for are 5cs (for certain trades). Like someone said earlier get down to your ACIO, do the BARB test and after looking at that the recruiter will give you a list of every job available to you.
  6. Do i have to book an appointment to do a BARB? I have outstanding fines which im dealing with (see my other thread). Will they still let me do a BARB to gauge where i am so i can explore the jobs with fines outstanding?
  7. No, VM is 4 D's Maths, English and 2x Science.
  8. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Don't ask on here - ask at the ACIO. Just GET DOWN THERE and find out!

Front up about the fines etc - when you join you will have a regular income which your "fine management" people will like. Get on an op tour, where you can't spend any dosh, and you will probably be able to come back and pay them off anyway.
  9. Sound advice.