Best cardio

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by BrunoNoMedals, Jan 31, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

I have shit knees and can't run. I also need to shift weight quickly. What's the best exercise in my situation? My obvious options are cycling, rowing, cross trainer, incline walking... the usual gym fodder. Which is the higher burner? What else could I do in the gym?

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk
  2. I'm quite enjoying swimming, 3 lengths breast stroke then 1 length front crawl. Though I don't suggest it will be a complete solution.
  3. Swimming can be an excellent workout and is very kind on the joints.
  4. Kayaking... in particular, long distance sea kayaking worked well for me when in similar circumstances. Off to the Devizes-Westminster with you!
  5. Have to agree on the swimming. It will shift the weight and provide a good cardiovascular exercise regime. What Werewolf said about being kind on your joints.

Surely cycling will antagonise any injury you've done to your knees?

Canader do you find kayaking is helpful in exercising your lower body cause so far it isn't working for me? I find it great for the upper body and a cardiovascular benefit but apart from that can't see it as an effective weight losing option.
  6. If you have access to kettlebells check out Kettlebell swings. My knees suffer if I run a lot so I tend not to run more than twice a week these days. The workout I did tonight was 35 2 handed swings followed by 10 burpees followed by 1 minute rest. Repeat x 10 and you will be blowing out your hoop. Failing that, intervals on the rower, tabatas (evil, have a look on google), punch bag even.
  7. It's not all about cardio, don't forget about resistant training. Re cardio anything that gets you in the aerobic zone, this is where you need to be to burn fat. Use a heart monitor your looking for a heart rate of 60-75%. To calculate your max HR is easy. 220 - (your age).
  8. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Thanks guys. I had a suspicion swimming would come up! There is a pool at the gym but it's usually full of kids and classes. I'll have to check the timetable.

Kayaking and other fun sports are out of the question as I'm looking for simple, gym-based things. Definitely need to Google some of M2G's ideas though :)

Final point on resistance and heart rate: I'm doing bags of weights as well, so no problem there. Also, are you saying that anything that keeps my heart rate around 140 (I'm late 20s) will burn it, regardless?

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk
  9. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

There's not much you can't do with a decent rowing machine (ie. the type you get in a gym, not the the type that costs £50 from Argos). CV, strength... you name it. Don't just whack the resistance up to 10 and try to be all macho; when I had a period when I couldn't run, I used to do 10k a day on a resistance of about 7 and that's plenty good enough. Get some advice from an instructor.

There are some very competitive websites for times, etc, on the Concept II rower that you can get involved in. Again, get some instruction - posture is important for the lower back - and then learn to hate the bloody things; they're an all-over workout. But they're very good for round the middle and lower back.

Of course calories out need to exceed calories in, so look at your diet - especially the beer monster. There's little point in training like a demon if you're just filling yourself up with rubbish.
  10. Kayaking combined with cycling then nordic walking. The more undulating the ground the better. (XC skiing on xmas holidays?) There is actually a GP referal scheme with nordic walking as one of the options. You can do it anywhere and it's cheaper than going into a gym to breath recycled air. Swimming is also excellent, obviously, but studying the tiles at the bottom of the local swimming baths can get a bit monotonous after a while.
  11. Got to agree with rowing- I tend to do intervals of 750m at about a 2:00/500m split, with sprints of 250m at about 1:40/1.35; I'm usually hanging out by the third split, but if you can keep at it for around 5 splits then it's a pretty good workout.
  12. I have a slipped disc in my neck - whiplash injury.

I had to give up running because it was antagonising the injury and causing it to bulge into the spinal nerve bundle. I used to run around 6 - 8 miles a day so that I would'nt become a fat knacker civvy. I now cycle for around 2 hours a day to try and burn a similar amount of calories.
  13. There is plenty of research to suggest that running, or exercising BEFORE you eat first thing encourages your body to use fat stores rather than glycogen. best to take the protein drink along with a breakfast of porridge within 20 mins of finishing.
  14. Swimming, swimming and more swimming. Then try a bit of swimming. Front crawl is the best unless you have a specific condition that prevents you doing it. Dont try to go for speed when swimming, just set out to swim constantly for a set time or number of lengths. If you have never done much swimming before, it is worth getting a lesson or two to ensure your technique is good - it doesnt need to be perfect.