Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best boots (tabbing, etc.)

Bob65

War Hero
Gents I suffer from weak ankles (wankles). Been doing various exercises to strengthen them but even so. Currently wear the Altberg's. What boots if any provide better support/protection against the foot turning inwards? Cheers

what kind of insoles do you use? get the ones that are good for (over)pronating foot.
superfeet are decent.
about the boots- I use meindl's "black eagle" mid-boots, very light and comfy.

Bob65

War Hero
Using the Swartz at the moment. What "colour" of Superfeet? Green or orange I guess? Are the Meindle's solid around the ankles? Cheers!

Bob65

War Hero
(I'm not sure I mean over-pronation, I mean turning so that the outside edge of the foot is downwards, if that makes more sense)

LOWA any and every day.

Using the Swartz at the moment. What "colour" of Superfeet? Green or orange I guess? Are the Meindle's solid around the ankles? Cheers!

Also have a look at www.sportpursuit.com they often do superfeet at reduced prices including a copper one which is working rather nicely in my lowas at the moment

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Yeah any site that insists I need to join I'll pass on ta

think of it like Makro or costco or a cash and carry, membership has its benefits.

Its saved me about £400 so far

On the plus side, you will now no longer have the temptation of cut price gear you never knew you needed to buy being dangled in front of you!

The_Poltroon

Clanker
Bumping this old thread to say that Aku GTX Pilgrims are a great tabbing boot.

I had a crack at the Paras 10 in Catterick in September this year and found them to be excellent

Bumping this old thread to say that Aku GTX Pilgrims are a great tabbing boot.

I had a crack at the Paras 10 in Catterick in September this year and found them to be excellent
Another bump.

I'm on my second pair of Pilgrims and have found them to be comfortable from the off, Goretex does what it's supposed to so my plates don't get sweaty, hard wearing and a breeze to clean with a wash and brush under the tap and you can run in them as well to a certain extent.

However I was looking at an alternative to use while the AKUs were drying off and thought about the HAIX Scout as they got good reviews, but they appear to be discontinued. Anyone know what's happened to them?

Another bump.

I'm on my second pair of Pilgrims and have found them to be comfortable from the off, Goretex does what it's supposed to so my plates don't get sweaty, hard wearing and a breeze to clean with a wash and brush under the tap and you can run in them as well to a certain extent.

However I was looking at an alternative to use while the AKUs were drying off and thought about the HAIX Scout as they got good reviews, but they appear to be discontinued. Anyone know what's happened to them?

There's a new version of them on their website called the Scout 2.0.

TamH70

MIA
There's a new version of them on their website called the Scout 2.0.

Yep. Here:

Not far short of two hundred sheets?

Ouch.

They're super comfy and great to start with, the Pilgrims, but at the toe crease on both boots they've disintegrated, worn through the Gore-Tex to. Online would seem to prove this was a known issue but never materialised in reviews.

Rest of the boots are like brand new - shame, they were out of warrantee - so they've been consigned to dry weather gardening duties.

The Salewas I got to replace, while not quite as comfy and a bit heavier, look brand new after some serious use.

Maybe the issue versions were 'hardened up' a bit.

Latest Threads