Best boots on the market for soldiering including tabbing?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by jonny36, Mar 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Best boots on the market for soldiering including tabbing?

2. The basic Altberg defenders. Simple as.

3. Defender Microlite?

4. Ammo boots, they won two world wars and got a score draw in Korea!

5. The Altberg Peacekeeper P1 MK III ORIGINAL are the bad boys I use. I had Lowa mountain's when I was in the regs and I find the Altbergs to be far superior.

6. Snow and Rock Shops have a range called Scarpa, I have been all over snowdonia in mine, like wearing slippers... They also come in Girly colours for bluejobs.

7. you dont want to use your best boots, you want to use something which will be more practical like KSB's or Altberg.

8. Had Lowas, Meindls, currently mincing about in HanWag , i would say Han Wag GTX Gore Tex top tabbing wellie , and will fit a NATO plank, they have a binding groove on back of soul, wish i had them 14 years ago (AMF)

Attached Files:

9. Ill second that.

10. I am told that Altbergs are recommended by "them" for the selection camping trip (which includes some light hiking). I cannot think of a stronger recommendation.

Attached Files:

12. Han-wag are issued to 'them'

13. I bow to your superior knowledge

14. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Like all boots, it depends on your feet and the last the boot is designed around.

I went to the Altberg factory in Richmond, and got fitted for a pair. I was advised that I needed some modifications to the standard boot for the perfect fit. I paid the extra, waited the 8 weeks and was eventually sent a pair of boots that were a custom fit. Unfortunately the custom fit was for someone elses feet. They were shite, but I gave them enough time to break them in properly, by which time they were too worn to realistically send them back. I gave them away.

I bought Hanwags, they fitted perfectly straight out of the box, and are still going well several years of hard tabbing later.

I know loads of people that love Altbergs - I don't. To the OP - try a variety of boots as there is no "one size fits all" solution.