best boots for afghan?

hi guys and girls just wanted to get your opinion on what's the best boots to wear out in afghan?

Depends, are you going to be a fobbit or deploying outside the wire on foot regularly?

Lowas and Meindl are both good- Meindl are good for wider feet, are generally comfortable from the outset but don't last quite so well.

If you're in Bastion then Magnums will do you.

You will have a choice of all three.

Fronty

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
You get a pair of Magnums for cutting about camp and a choice of EITHER Lowas or Meindles. Choose the ones that fit you best.

I went for the Lowas as the 12.5 wides fitted me best.

I wouldn't take your "best boots" with you to be honest. They'll only get cracked.

Re-bulling would be a nightmare with all the dust in the air. You'll end up with a scratched surface.

Do the Afghans wear boots? Thought they were more into sanadals & slippers.

Wellies. Cant beat em. And you can use them with goats the same way as the Welsh do with sheep.

If I was going back I'd take a pair of the Altberg desert boots. I went through two pairs of the issue lowas, which I thought were decent enough boots just didn't last in the conditions.

A few lads in my troop had the desert altbergs and they lasted the whole tour easily. Take some sealskinz type socks if your on a winter tour or goretex socks whatever you prefer.