Best book on the climber George Mallory

• Thread starter Baldricks Batman
  • Start date
B

Baldricks Batman

51XFjcakWzL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_[1].jpg
Has anyone on arrse read either or both of these books I looking at reading about him and not sure which one to order as they both look good

51ce95HcWlL._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_[1].jpg

J

JWBenett

" Because it's there" eh? According to mates in the know, it's Davis, he links these climbers to their experiences in the trenches and survivor guilt. Everest searchers thought Irvine lay somewhere along the Northeast Ridge. Mallory could have got to 28,000 ft even with what they were wearing back then, Burberry gabardine jackets and hobnail boots. And a sort of oxygen supply. I love this stuff and the 'third Pole'. Favourite reference is "Those Who Dared" (ed. Nelsson 2009) with first person accounts, news reports and obituaries. The Guardian has always been a good (that's all I read it for) source but Davis is meant to be superb, and I should have read it by now.
Everest Climbing Gear—Then and Now - Natonal Geographic

B

Baldricks Batman

" Because it's there" eh? According to mates in the know, it's Davis, he links these climbers to their experiences in the trenches and survivor guilt. Everest searchers thought Irvine lay somewhere along the Northeast Ridge. Mallory could have got to 28,000 ft even with what they were wearing back then, Burberry gabardine jackets and hobnail boots. And a sort of oxygen supply. I love this stuff and the 'third Pole'. Favourite reference is "Those Who Dared" (ed. Nelsson 2009) with first person accounts, news reports and obituaries. The Guardian has always been a good (that's all I read it for) source but Davis is meant to be superb, and I should have read it by now.
Everest Climbing Gear—Then and Now - Natonal Geographic
Thanks for that ,that is the one i'm leaning towards ,..the Wildest dreams book seems more about his life and appears to not have much about his final climb ,...the second I wasn't sure if the WW1 bit would be a pointless sub plot ,but it seems a better choice .

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
George Mallory's brother was one Trafford Leigh Mallory, arch crabfat and also killed in the mountains when his Avro York failed to clear the Alps on the way to India in 1945.

I have on my book case:

Anker, C. and Roberts, D. (1999): The Lost Explorer, Finding Mallory on the Mountain, New York, Simon & Schuster.

It is not a big book, a mere 180 pages, but a very good read.

I have "Into The Silence" on my bookshelf and can recommend it. The book puts the 3 British attempts on Everest between the wars into the context of being post-WW1 and the effect that war had on the participants. It is not a biography of Mallory. It gives quite a bit of space to the international politics that were prevailing at the time as well as the background of the climbers. It also looks closely at the "boys own adventures" style of leadership that infused the attempts which led to the exclusion of one of the most capable climbers who had proven the value of supplementary oxygen on the second attempt. My most profound memory of the book though is the sense of deepening disaster as the author recounts the third and final attempt. It is well worth reading.