Best Book on Northern Ireland in the 70s

Discussion in 'The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B' started by Outstanding, Jun 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having spent my youth getting rained on all over Ulster from The Creggan /Bogside/ to Ardoyne/Glassmullen/Twinbrook/Ballymurphy/NH St Mill/Divis Flats/ Crossmaglen and Silverbridge: I am trying toi find a decent book(s) that cover the period.

Any recommendations?
  2. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

Ken Wharton,s Bombs, bullets and a cup of tea, I have both volumes excellant reading.
  3. Ken's books are brilliant and are well on par with the IWM "Forgotten voices" and the " Lost Voices" series, but they are not a real history, but the personal accounts af the people who were there, I dont think there is a really good history of OP Banner as yet, and if there ever is it would have to be a pretty massive volume," The British Army in Ulster" was a good attempt but missed out quite a lot
  4. Thanks guys
  5. Here are a couple:
    The British Army in Northern Ireland by Col M Dewer and Emergency Tour by Brig Peter Morton of 3 Para
  6. Cheers
  7. British Army in Ulster Vols 1-4 by David Barzilay will bring some memories back, (if you can find them).
  8. Vol 2 is from Aug 73 to 75, excellent for Units, photos and Ops. Agree Bumper Iv'e been looking for years for the later ones.
  9. Can't remember the name of the book but it starts with "It was a dark rainy night in....."
  10. ...and if some of us got royalties for our photos in there, we'd be a pint or two better off down the pub.
  11. I have the full set of these. They cost me a total of £19.00 as I bought them as soon as each was published (Vol 1 £2.10s!).
    Amazon had a set on sale recently for around £180.00!!!!
    However if you look around second-hand bookshops you may find these at much less cost but possibly not as a full set.

Other books of interest include "Bombs have no Pity" by Lt Col George Styles G.C., "Fetch Felix" by Lt-Col Derrick Patrick, "Operation Banner" by Nick Van Der Bijl, "A Testimony to Courage, The Regimental History of the Ulster Defence Regiment", by John Potter, and "The Thin Green Line", The History of the Royal Ulster Constabulary GC, by Richard Doherty.
    For serious researchers there is of course "Lost Lives The stories of the men, women, and children who died as a result of the Northern Ireland troubles".
  12. I was shown a book all about NI by an older serving friend. It had graphic images of the effect of a hollow point round fired at a soldier using an armalite, with equally graphic entry and exit wound, have vague memorys of a picture of a severed cock lying in a back alley in the same book. I think the einstein brothers that fired the rocket launcher from the back of a van was in it too.

Any ideas of the book?
  13. Northern Ireland Soldiers Talking, by Max Arthur (and not only because some of my excellent fellows are quoted in there!). Captures some of the odd humour, which many books tend to miss.