Best book about Iraq

Any suggestions?

msr

The Best book on the war in IRAQ has to be THE DAILY TELEGRAPH - WAR ON SADDAM , because of the good looking chap in his 'doss bag ' on page 57 reading a 31st birthday card

Mr Happy

LE
theres a yank pulitzer prize winner who's written a book called THUNDER RUN on the armoured strikes into Baghdad. Its chock full of bible chewing cigar reading officers taking their men into the lions den under fire, loads of cock ups and narrow escapes along with blue on blues an so forth. Its full of details and quite an eye-opener that the author managed to get this out an is not in Gitmo as a anti-pacifist-anti-american.

currently reading "rules of engagement" by col collins, so far its f uckin good! and i only hope that it stays that way- anyone else read it?

slopey_shoulders said:
currently reading "rules of engagement" by col collins, so far its f uckin good! and i only hope that it stays that way- anyone else read it?
Im saving that one for the next big ex!

Mr Happy

LE
slopey_shoulders said:
Sorry forget that, its excellent, enjoy every page.

Black Knights to Bahgdad Oliver Poole
War reporting for Cowards Chris Ayres (very funny)
Wars against Saddam John Simpson
War on Saddam Torygraph more pictorial
The BBC book on the reporting (forgotten its exact name)

There are loads of good ones out there

No contest, "The Marsh Arabs" by Wilfred Thesiger. :wink:

I'm currentl reading 'Weekend Warrior-A T.A. soldiers war in Iraq' by Kevin J Mervin.
Not bad so far.....
Other good books I've read are;
Tornado Down by Flt Lt Peters & Nichol,
Rules of Engagement by Col Tim Collins RIR.
Spike

The flight Saftey magazine on the way home....... :D

"Generation Kill" by Evan Wright, a reporter embedded into a Yank Unit during the fight into Iraq. It's a very well written book and leaves you with grudging respect for the Yanks who turn out to actually have a conscience afterall when it comes to "collateral damage".

The book is very straight down the line, and reports on what happens as the bloke saw it, with no dressing up of the facts to make the yanks look better. As an aside it also deals very well with the huge internal politics within the infantry company, and how young soldiers deal with the realisation that they have just accidentally killed a group of civvies etc

Top read, recommend it to anyone.

Lord_Wentworth said:
"Generation Kill" by Evan Wright, a reporter embedded into a Yank Unit during the fight into Iraq. It's a very well written book and leaves you with grudging respect for the Yanks who turn out to actually have a conscience afterall when it comes to "collateral damage".

The book is very straight down the line, and reports on what happens as the bloke saw it, with no dressing up of the facts to make the yanks look better. As an aside it also deals very well with the huge internal politics within the infantry company, and how young soldiers deal with the realisation that they have just accidentally killed a group of civvies etc

Top read, recommend it to anyone.
I agree i wastold about he book so went & bought it couldnt put it down & read the hole book in 2 weeks it has a nack of keeping you reading the book really good proably my favoraite book about GF2