Best blues in America?

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by the_beer_man, Feb 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Didn't know where to post this so thought this place to be the best.

I want to arrange a long weekend (or even a week) for me and my dad for his birthday next year. He's a massive blues fan. More specifically, but not limited to, the 50's Chicago blues style.

What I'm after is any advice from anyone who's done a bit in America and knows the best place for blues bars. I know Chicago (due to what I've said above) sounds the best best but would the deep south be better? I like a bit of blues but I'm not a massive follower so wouldn't know where to start. I also want it to be a surprise do can't ask him.

Any help?

2. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Surely n'awlins.

3. You can't go wrong with New Orleans. But quite a few other places have good choices as well, Chicago, Memphis, even Detroit.

But for the sheer variety and number of choices, New Orleans is the place.

4. NOLA mate, can't beat The Big Easy.

5. Try a club called Kingston Mines in Chicago.

6. Rick Stein (the annoying chef) did a Delta Blues special on TV a few months back. It was basically a travelog around the Mississipi Delta region where all the legends of Blues were brought up and performed - Willy Dixon, Muddy Waters, Bukka White, Howlin' Wolf, Blind Willie Johnson etc. It may be available on DVD, or I-player and would certainly give you a few pointers.
    No fan of Rick Stein, but enjoyed the programme immensely.

7. Delta Blues absolutely,,,,Muddy Waters,Son House,Robert Johnson,Willie Brown,Freddie Spruell (the original Delta Bluesman),Lead Belly and the unforgetable Janis Joplin........

8. There are a number of BB King Blues clubs across the States.They are not exclusively blues headliners, though.
    Incidentally, for those in the 'Shot area (from an e-mail):

Just a reminder that Stormy Sunday are playing at the Horns Pub in Crondall this Saturday 18th February.

As always, you would be very welcome.

Gigs for March

Friday 2nd - Richmond Arms Godalming - Lost Roberts Blues Band

Saturday 3rd - Frog & Wicket Yateley/Eversley - CHiPS

Friday 9th - Fox & Hounds Fleet - CHiPS

Friday 23rd - Catherine of Aragon West Byfleet - Chasm

Sunday 25th - The Three Lions (Scratchers) Godalming - Lost Roberts

9. The BB King Blues Club in NYC usually has some good acts headlining there - I saw Johnny Winter recently.

Plus its in NYC, which the old man might appreciate...

10. I told you the Mississippi Delta....It's Blues Country..........

11. Hey, Southern Comfort is on tonight, some good music in it.