Best bits of kit for Iraq/Afghanistan?

Can anyone give me some info on what bits of kit you have taken to any of the two sandy places which you have actually found usefull. May these bits of kit be load carrying stuff (i.e. Assault vests) or just any bits and bobs. And also, what boots do you guys recomend.

Regards, Gibboe.

As for the camelbak, no problem, its issued.

As for the bucket and spade, do silvermans make a good deal? does the sand come free with it?

sanddustshitwindsun - glasses

any boots you prefer/like as long as they'r not black = your feet will be boiling

If you dont get decent boots issued get yourself some "mendel Desert fox's" if you are lucky you should get then anyway (think they are £80-90 from internet). room mate got some right blisters from his normal issued pair (i was a lucky one)

D

Deleted 20555

Does anyone know where one can buy Lister water bags these days? You know those canvas bags for water carrying that keep water cool by evaporation?

My nephew is serving somewhere sandy and I want send him a couple.

Deleted 20555 said:
Does anyone know where one can buy Lister water bags these days? You know those canvas bags for water carrying that keep water cool by evaporation?

theres nothing you cant find on e-bay

Deleted 20555 said:

Choggie bags?

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/reenactors/index.asp

Collectables. British. Post War. Bottom of the page, £3.

Take some of that magicool stuff you can buy in boots, I never used it often but when I used to get really hot and pi*sed off id have a bit of a squirt of it.

DocSTAB said:
Deleted 20555 said:

Choggie bags?

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/reenactors/index.asp

Collectables. British. Post War. Bottom of the page, £3.
Beware that a lot of their kit is badly made Indian copies for the re-enactor market. I wanted one of the old 37 Pattern waterbottles for going walking - they're handy because they have their own sling. I got an original water bottle but the sling was a very nasty reproduction. I've seen other repro stuff that they sell too and it's mostly poor. In fairness they did take it back no questions.

The canvas bottle in the picture looks very new and clean for old stock. I would ask some searching questions before ordering old stuff from SOF.

Might be genuine but I strongly advise checking if you're wanting it for its real purpose.