Best and Worst Careers To Support TA

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Danny_Dravot, Jan 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From the vast experience of the TA officers and soldiers here, what do you consider the best and worst careers to support TA service.

I would have thought teaching is pretty good, regular hours, job security, limited weekend work and plenty of holidays.

For the worst i assume anything that involves long/irregular hours and weeknds, such as publican, restraunter, retail manager...

...over to you

2. msr

msr LE

I don;t think there is a 'best' and 'worst', the TA is very flexible - the minimum attendance requirement for a National Unit is just 19 days.

Provided you let the CoC know when you cannot make it in, there are ususally no problems.

3. surely as an Officer / WO / SNCO you have a duty to your level of commitment to every drill night and Sqn/Regt trg weekend?
  4. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

As with everything, pros and cons.

9 to 5 office job? Every weekend available, but limited annual leave probably means one 2 week course per year for most.

Self employed? Plenty of opportunity for arranging work to allow for extra camps/courses. However, may involve working weekends to finish a job and need to take most work going in the present economic climate so missing routine training.

Student? Great during the holidays, terrible during exams and revision time.
  5. I know of a couple of "seasonal" TA soldiers, one has his own gardening firm so during spring/summer he will do next to nothing TA wise but is flat out in the winter, another one I know is a TA version of a fair weather golfer, he will only come out to play if the sun is shining!
  6. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

You have a duty to ensure that all of your responsibilities are carried out to support the soldiers under your command.

That often means working away from your Coy/Sqn, but in support of them (think grading/promotion conferences, RFCA meeting, Bde meetings etc). In order to keep the work-family-TA balance workable, sometimes you have to miss other training and do a lot of work in work time, or at home. That is what delegation and a command structure are all about.
  7. Teachers have a problem though if there holidays do not sync with camps you may hardly ever see them on the unit ADE
  8. Best for me, as i'm in it, is the Civil Service - flexi-time, 2 weeks special paid leave for TA and 30 days annual leave. Plus, no real dramas with being 'intelligently' mobilised.

As for the weekends, our training calendar is published as far in advance as possible so that enables me to plan those around/with the football and tennis seasons during the appropriate times of year.
  9. the only career that will properly support the 'new' TA is...

Solves all the SABrE problems, no employer issues, successive deployments now possible, and no making up the pay.

done deal.
  10. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

So why out of a company of 90+ do I have only one in that position? Some people struggling in the building trades certainly, but no long term unemployed.

MrT - Have you resigned from your job or the TA then, seeing as you believe them to be incompatible? Always the glass half empty with you, isn't it?
  11. I am In the Civil service, and I get 8 weeks payed holiday and I am aloud up to 4 weeks on payed leave a year. The only thing Is I work a 4 day on 2 day off shift, so If a TA weekend land on a weekend when I am on shift It comes out of my holiday.
  12. I'm my experience teachers always had a lot of problems, particularly with camps as they rarely, in my units, fell into line with academic holidays.

Like many others they have certains times of the year where holidays are a no go too.
  13. Is all the Regular Army just unemployed civillians then??
  14. The NHS is like this also and (in my area) is reasonably tolerant of losing a number of staff from A&E or ITU at the same time to go on ops.
  15. My experience is that civil servants get the best level of support. Some major companies have nice sounding policies about support, leave etc - but this is not carried through when it reaches the line manager level.

I personally had a "lack of commitment to the company" line appear in my annual report after a row with my LM when I asked to leave a meeting at 7pm on a Friday night in order to attend a TA weekend.

Best support I ever had was with ICI, where my LM had been a Pln Sgt in the Australian Army (2 tours in Vietnam) and the bloke above him had been a 2Lt in Normandy. Sadly, 30 years later, that generation are all long retired.