Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Best and Worst bits of military equipment

hexamine_camp_stove.jpg

The No. 4 rifle held 10 rounds, not 5, and it was a much better weapon than the M1 carbine.

I never really saw the point of the M1 carbine. Surely the troops who would've been issued it, would've done just as well, if not better with a Thompson or M3 SMG.

Posted in a break from being manipulated by three very devious cats
AHA I thought it was rounds of five, or is it clips of 5 and you push two clips in ?

Not a whole category of kit but rather an individual example of.

The sleeping bag assigned to box 32 of the recruit wing stores at my old TA Sqn.

Washed hundreds of times, doused in deodorant, air freshener and fbreeze but still always smelt like some Cnut had grandslammed, died and festered in there.

Even 5 and a half years later when I left the TA it was rancid. I got sent to tidy the stores while waiting for the QM to appear to sign my gear back in. Christ on a raft the thing made you want to cry.

The Off Route Mine handy for Killing Tanks and opening stiff doors.

Once fired one of these when Attached to 2 Para on Exercise over in the US (Fort Lewis).
When I say fired what I actually mean is we were as Engineers attached to them for the Purpose of setting up Demolitions and taking their new boys and Assault Pioneers through some Improvised Explosive stuff.
Anyway I digress slightly as did the Improvisation techniques as the Officers got bored after about 2 hours milling around and subsequently left our Staffy in charge....o_O

The usual stuff to start with ..Det Cord wrapped round trees,improvised Claymores,Coffee Jars etc etc ..
Onto Bar Mines under Cadilacs ...then I decided to step it up a notch.

"Staff any chance I can use the Off Route Mine for my Improvisation"..I enquired.
"By all means what have you got in mind Sapper"He asked
"Oh I was thinking of sticking this Steel Plate on top and putting that Suspension Coil off that Truck on top of that and see just how high I can send it"...:rolleyes:
"Fine crack on I'll inform Air Traffic Control to clear us a window".
You see Fort Lewis is a very busy Base with alot of Helos and Military Planes coming and going and has it's own Air Traffic Control Centre.

Just as well..............
I set her off and the Truck Spring went through the cloud base at a terrible rate of acceleration.
Took over 10 seconds to appear on its' way down.

Savage bit of kit.

A good day as a Sapper in the Corps

The a41 was larkspur and had valves. I'm not sure if they were miniature though . It did about 40 to 80 MHz as I remember.
A six and sixteen foot whip to try and get over the road coms.

The Off Route Mine handy for Killing Tanks and opening stiff doors.

Once fired one of these when Attached to 2 Para on Exercise over in the US (Fort Lewis).
When I say fired what I actually mean is we were as Engineers attached to them for the Purpose of setting up Demolitions and taking their new boys and Assault Pioneers through some Improvised Explosive stuff.
Anyway I digress slightly as did the Improvisation techniques as the Officers got bored after about 2 hours milling around and subsequently left our Staffy in charge....o_O

The usual stuff to start with ..Det Cord wrapped round trees,improvised Claymores,Coffee Jars etc etc ..
Onto Bar Mines under Cadilacs ...then I decided to step it up a notch.

"Staff any chance I can use the Off Route Mine for my Improvisation"..I enquired.
"By all means what have you got in mind Sapper"He asked
"Oh I was thinking of sticking this Steel Plate on top and putting that Suspension Coil off that Truck on top of that and see just how high I can send it"...:rolleyes:
"Fine crack on I'll inform Air Traffic Control to clear us a window".
You see Fort Lewis is a very busy Base with alot of Helos and Military Planes coming and going and has it's own Air Traffic Control Centre.

Just as well..............
I set her off and the Truck Spring went through the cloud base at a terrible rate of acceleration.
Took over 10 seconds to appear on its' way down.

Savage bit of kit.

A good day as a Sapper in the Corps

I might have gotten a little bit excited by that video.

I might only have been a STAB Sapper but shit that goes boom still sings to the soul :p

The best bit if kit I ever had wasn't actually issued to me, I had to make it.

The lads in the class above would pass the knowledge on and we'd teach the lads below us in turn.

It was basically a hook fashioned from a wire coat hangar that held the shower button down. Without one you'd have to keep the button depressed or re-press it every 5-10 seconds.

With a hook, you could have a nice long dobhi without having to press the shower button again.

******* magic.

I might have gotten a little bit excited by that video.

I might only have been a STAB Sapper but shit that goes boom still sings to the soul :p
It's a lethal bit of kit that it forms a slug that can travel 1.5km if it misses.
If it hits a vehicle I would not want to be inside when it does.
I of course set it up in a vertical position :D