Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Best and Worst bits of military equipment

D

Deleted 99482

sitting watching an old film the other day, I noticed that wartime British troops were equipped with the Lee enfield rifle, whereas the American troops had an automatic carbine, with the british weapon you had to operate the bolt for each of the 5 rounds whereas the American carbine was self loading with 15 rounds ,so this got me thinking
what is the best and the worst bit of military kit you have been issued with or used and why ?
any bits of kit you managed to break or destroy with ease ?

fire away
( exceptions given for THAT rifle)

I think you`re referring to the M1 carbine which is a different animal from the No.4. The US equivalent would have been the Garand with an 8 round clip.
I think I read somewhere that the failure at the time of the Brits to adopt a self loader was down to the expectation that troops would waste ammunition, a similar reason could be why gods own rifle didn`t come with a full auto option as standard.

I think you`re referring to the M1 carbine which is a different animal from the No.4. The US equivalent would have been the Garand with an 8 round clip.
I think I read somewhere that the failure at the time of the Brits to adopt a self loader was down to the expectation that troops would waste ammunition, a similar reason could be why gods own rifle didn`t come with a full auto option as standard.
aha I wondered wether it was due to so many other weapons using the same rounds and the ability to collect ammo from other sources
the Carbine the american tropps were using looked to be a more useful weapon in close contact with the ability to fire anotehr round without moving your hand away from the trigger

A41
A radio that took a man to carry with enough batteries to last a weekend.
It had a range bordering on several hundred yards. And could easily communicate with anyone in line of sight.(as long as you were short sighted)
Two tin cans and some string would have been better.

And gods own rifle had full auto. Everyone smoked and a matchstick and bit of card was in every rat pack

A41
A radio that took a man to carry with enough batteries to last a weekend.
It had a range bordering on several hundred yards. And could easily communicate with anyone in line of sight.(as long as you were short sighted)
Two tin cans and some string would have been better.

And gods own rifle had full auto. Everyone smoked and a matchstick and bit of card was in every rat pack

No match sticks here and she can shoot , cream yourselves away

I'm a big fan of the issue gore tex bivi bag.

I've tried a variety of civvy ones and none are as good. I had some stupidly expensive Rab thing, which while being nice and waterproof, was so thin and fragile, I managed to trash it just getting it out of the bag.

One of the few issue bits of kit that is better than what's available civvy side.

Worst bit of kit was RN issue gym shoes, otherwise known as white daps. After the phasing out of the old issue plymsoles, some PTI was getting pissed off with his gym floor getting trashed by our Silver Shadows and managed to persuade someone high up that everyone in the RN should be issued with non marking trainers for indoor use.

Through the magic of MOD procurement, we all ended up with white plastic skateboarding shoes. I could run faster in my steel toe capped steaming bats.

It took a good few hundred ******* getting shin splints and ankle injuries before they got fucked off.

ImageUploadedByARRSE1409522636.008527.jpg

What a piece of shit.

At least we didn't buy ******* millions of the things.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

sitting watching an old film the other day, I noticed that wartime British troops were equipped with the Lee enfield rifle, whereas the American troops had an automatic carbine, with the british weapon you had to operate the bolt for each of the 5 rounds whereas the American carbine was self loading with 15 rounds ,so this got me thinking
what is the best and the worst bit of military kit you have been issued with or used and why ?
any bits of kit you managed to break or destroy with ease ?

fire away
( exceptions given for THAT rifle)

The No. 4 rifle held 10 rounds, not 5, and it was a much better weapon than the M1 carbine.

I never really saw the point of the M1 carbine. Surely the troops who would've been issued it, would've done just as well, if not better with a Thompson or M3 SMG.

Posted in a break from being manipulated by three very devious cats