Best and Worst bits of military equipment

Haha!

I used to be posted to 244 Sig Sqn (AS), which had the MAOT role in D Tp. My det (and the other 9 in the troop) had 35 right angle torches on a locally-made torch board in the back. Each on a tent peg with a couple of clips welded on, so we could make 7x NATO Ts.

It was quite amusing to see infantry blokes look in the back and think/say "WTF is going on here!".
I'm not surprised, torches nailed to boards, we were supposed to be a MODERN Army!
It's only a step up from Boiling Oil and dropping rocks on people FFS!
I only hope no yanks saw it!

Subsunk

War Hero
Book Reviewer
The big white ensign which is hoisted for Colours and Sunset at BRNC Dartmouth has to be one of the best.

It is there purely and simply for comedy value, as far as I can see. It is massive, far bigger than any normal human being, and the Colours Party are under strict instructions not to let it touch the ground.

They then have to raise it and lower it while not letting this happen, which is impossible, but it's always fun to see them try. Particularly gratifying in heavy winds or wet weather.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
As a Gunner we found ZB298 worked well , but only if you had good batteries. I suspect too many sat on shelves until exercise time and were then just issued.

I see guys walking round with maroon flat caps instead of berets, cap badge on the side. A scarf with millions of holes in (what's the point?) And a jacket that kinda looks like an old western onesie with the crapper flap on the back. What the hell is all that about?

F*ck me! The words "death" and "trap" spring to mind. Having said that, what's the point of a Ground Surveillance Radar in a Market Square 75m x 150m (or thereabouts.)? And it's not as if you could get a good look down the exit roads either.
Don't tell me, "We've got it so we'll bleeding well use it!"
I'm pretty certain although it's a long time ago now that XMG square is a bit larger than that, particularly lengthways, but we always found walking around the place with occasional bouts of running when we thought it was a good idea was the best way to get around that place and keep an eye on it.

When I was served in the army in the fifties cap badges were worn one inch above the the left eyebrow......and not one inch above the left ear-hole!...as seems the normal practice in the modern army. Maybe regulations have changed since my day?

When I was served in the army in the fifties cap badges were worn one inch above the the left eyebrow......and not one inch above the left ear-hole!...as seems the normal practice in the modern army. Maybe regulations have changed since my day?
That's the way I was told in basic. Ive only ever seen it on the side with a maroon beret, and usually a bird kind of cap badge. What's the statement they're trying to make? They don't own a mirror?

We're sleeves rolled up or down?
Tucked in or left out?

If you are referring to 'shirt sleeve order' (European summer dress) then yes the sleeves were rolled up. In Malaya sleeves were always rolled up (jungle greens) but rolled down at nightfall to try and avoid the bleeding mossies!

If you are referring to 'shirt sleeve order' (European summer dress) then yes the sleeves were rolled up. In Malaya sleeves were always rolled up (jungle greens) but rolled down at nightfall to try and avoid the bleeding mossies!
You had it easy then. In the modern army they'd be arguing over that and changing it around.

No regulations haven't changed, however it's always been accepted that those with large cap badges would tend to be to the left, Para Regt and A&SH are the only ones that come to mind.

I got away for a whole day walking around BATUS with my capbadge over my right eye. I only got bubbled when an oaf of a VM pointed it out when the ASM was behind him.

Would the DE&S count as a worst item? As its an organisation of tools and brings misery and discomfort to the military :p

Who would be doing the arguing? When God (AKA as the RSM) gave an order no-one...and I mean NO-ONE argued! Queens regulations were there for all to obey....disobey an order and your feet would never touch the ground on your way to the guardroom!....Maybe it has all changed these days though?

Thinking back, the UK/PRC 344 test kit was pump. Half a dozen BNC-SMA male/female leads which would invariably be lost in 5 mins or find their way into the 353 test lead box for no apparent reason.

It might have cost the MOD about £1000 a throw.