Best Allies

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Logan89, Aug 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just wondering who people think is the closest to the UK politically and militarily. Canada, Austalia, USA....

2. I suppose longevity would come into it. Our longest continuous ally- Portugal.

There you go, we're greasy wops.

3. Portugal.

4. Well, considering Aussies and Canadians are commonwealth, I imagine they're closer than us yanks. But we yanks are still pretty close

5. Why do you even care?

6. just curious

7. You can bin Portugal, not worth the paper its printed on.

Militarily its got to be Aussies and Kiwis with various other Commonwealth countries as they most commonly serve in the British Army and we can't forget how many served in ww1 and 2.

Outside the Commonwealth Nepal then the US.

Politically. Who knows now.

8. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

In order and I can say that I have worked either embeded or with all these nations

Aus - culturally and in general mindset the closest to UK. Reasonable easy to drop offr or man in to each others forces and expect them to work well. Simliar humour helps a lot.

Ca - generally ok but small army mentality and a tendency to have chip because of it. Still, best boss internationally I ever had was CA.

US - Good people but I just don't like the "yes, sir" attitude you are expected to conform to. Both the other nations expect you to use your brain and ask questions - not US staff.

Politically? Depends on the event our masters are bitching about but traditionally the US.

Of course - just my view.

9. At the moment, the US - without a shadow of a doubt.

It doesn't matter who else we may feel more of a traditional emotional attachment to, the USA is the only country that has been able to provide consistent, practical, battle-winning support when we have needed it. Those who sneer at the US are invited to consider which of the other potential superpowers would be so friendly towards Britain (and the wider West). It works the other way round as well - some Americans may find Aussie or Irish or Italian culture more superficially attractive than ours but none of her other allies have lost anywhere near as many troops killed and injured as we have. In fact, we are close to having lost as many as all her other allies put together during the war on terror.

Thoughts from either side of the pond?

10. Well, that's often the result of shared heritage when that's the case. Americans who are aware of their ancestry share a special kinship with their cousins, be they english, irish, african, vietnamese, kenyan, pakistani, or whatever.

I think militarily though, the US and UK have been the closest as of late. I remember a one of our NCOs talking about his recent experiences in Afghanistan. He said that the allies he could rely on in his personal field experience were (in no particular order) the Brits, the Canadians, and Norwegians (to my surprise and pride as a Norwegian American, he said that the Norwegian SF provided flawless recon and intel, and treated the ANA with more respect than most of the others)

11. Historically speaking, apart from the Portuguese how about:

India: raised the largest volunteer army in human history to fight for us. Twice.

Canada: raised the largest volunteer army per head of male service-age population to fight for us. Twice. When they didn't have to at that stage in the game.

Our governments have assessed our interests as coinciding with the US's over the last 50-60 years. I wouldn't suggest that automatically makes them our closest allies, just friendly fellow travellers. We have more in common in terms of culture and national concerns with the other North Europe nations than the US.