Best All Singing all Dancing Desktop Specifications?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Gundulph, Mar 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sorted Thanks to Northern_warrior, original thread found...

Nice One...
  2. Ah ha! I was trying to find the previous thread but couldn't fnd it on search thanks northern_warrior...

3. No drama mate, it was on page 2 of this forum.

Im looking to upgrade as well, but the jargon frazzles my mind.

Any member that can put good spec's into non geek for me would be appreciated.
  4. Do you want to buy a complete PC from a manufacturor, build your own or upgrade parts of your current pc?

first path is easiest but is verging on theft when you consider what you can get for the same money but doing it yourself. The third option often is the cheapest, especially as you can sell your old bits onebay to mitgate the price of the new. You get more for bits on eay that you do a complete pc, curiously enough.
  5. Cheers for the reply.

To be honest, the current p.c. is of the beta-max variety! That i first got when i started needing to use a computer for home as well as work stuff.

On that note i probably reckon it's not worth upgrading the current model, i may be wrong.

As for building one from scratch. Never attempted 'owt like that before, not being the most technical geezer when it comes to electrical stuff. There's also the time factor what with current commitments etc etc, and to be honest i wouldn't know where to start.

So that leaves the "getting fücked by the computer company" option.

To be honest i was looking for a faster more up to date machine and what specs "in non-pc guru talk" i should be looking at.

Cheers n-w
  6. fast processor, defintly dual core. Direct X 10 compatable graphics card for video and games, faster the better, if you want to play games. Largest hard drive you can get. Media eats up space these days, biggest lcd monitor you can afford, you spend ages looking at it so don't skimp.

If your using vista then as much memeory as you can get, without paying over the odds.

Expensive but very high spec machines can be found at
  7. Again, cheers for the reply. Helpful indeed.

The link to the alienware site was interesting, so interesting i may get a shoeing off the wife if i bought one :D
    You weren't wrong about them being pricey mate!

Cheers, N_W.
  8. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Alien User on Net.
    Full spec ALX with quad-SLI graphics, dual-core processor, monster drives, blah blah blah. £3,500. :roll:
    Huge case, noisy as hell, hotter than Hades. Massively complex, especially the liquid cooling system.
    In theory will eat everything you can throw at it ... but after 6 months it's so moody and unreliable I'm about to F-Disk and reload everything. [at least, my nephew, aka IT Manager, will 8) ]