Best 12.7 & 7.62 sniper rifles

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Maalox, Jan 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. All these sniper rifles listed here look like top-notch stuff.

Which is considered to be the best in the 12.7mm class?

And the best in the 7.62mm?

Or as with most computer-designed and computer-fabricated things, is there really nothing in it any more?

2. My personal preference in 7.62 and 338LM is the TRG, as for the statement 'there is nothing in it'...............any rifle is only as good as the nut behind the butt. Yes there is a difference between rifles, everything from barrels to triggers. Big and contentious subject. :)
  3. The specs of sniper systems do fall into certain criteria

Good ones have to achieve 0.5 - 1.0 MOA so much of a muchness does come into it .However ergonomics trigger feel etc make the rifles very different
  4. Fronty

Fronty Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Would .408 fall into these two categories? I seem to remember that people were getting excited about the Cheytec Intervention System a couple of years ago because of its long range energy retention and accuracy
  5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

.5 MOA is the expected minimum from Sniper systems these days.

The .408 Cheytac would seem to be the best long range, large calibre performer by some margin. The entire system was designed around the best bullet/calibre they could make, with the delivery system designed around that bullet.

The DSR1 in 7.62 also achieves some very good results for smaller calibre Sniper rifles. They suggest 1/4 MOA using factory ammo - albeit the factory makes ammo specifically for the DSR, so it's cheating a bit. It's a lovely rifle by all accounts, with a bullpup configuration, and not overly heavy either.
  6. Hmmm Cheytac if only the bank account would stretch that far ( Plus if I could shoot worth a damn)

"Pedantic anorak mode on "

They give its accuracy at 0.7 MOA which is not the same as the AW 50 (0.5) why would this be 2 legged 1 if the Cheytac is meant to be the best
  7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Not sure - maybe I believed the hype. I'd heard it got sub 1/2 MOA, and it grouped nicely at ranges that exceeded the capability of the 50 calibre bullet by some margin. I'll do some looking up.

Edied to add: OK, apparently, despite the higher MOA, it has an effective range of 2,300m, due to the fact that the projectile and rifle combo provides for a good deal more in-flight stability, as well as transonic stability too.

The .50 calibre round has a maximum effective range of something like 1,800m as it is less stable in flight, and doesn't 'do' transonic as well as the .408 fired from a Cheytac.

Hope that helps.