Bessbrook Mill

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by F_A_B__BABY!, Jun 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just thought I'd let ya's know, Bessy closed Yesterday, the last Military vehicles left it early o'clock am and the contractors arrived and started to pull it apart. Sorry guys no link but sad to see, always good for a brew anytime, night or day :D .
    Thanks to all the chaps and chapesses who served there, and I for one will never forget the sacrifices and hardships endured by all who served there to make N.Ireland what it is today.

2. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

End of an era.

Sad to see in some ways, but glad that at least there was some light at the end of the tunnel.

What happens to the site?
  3. Ive heard its getting turned into luxury flats,
  4. I'd heard it was going to be a Sinn Fein theme park.
  5. Anyone know what happened to the regimental plaques and memorials?
  6. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

When I was working for Sky down there,one paddy told me Queens Uni had got it for agricultural studies.
  7. Memorials: There are about 700 memorials across NI that have had to be relocated to make sure someone looks after them properly when we have been closing sites - about 30 out of 40 sites have or will close this year. Memorials range from small plaques through nameboards and stones to huge granite plinths set in smart memorial gardens. At Bessbrook there were loads of smaller memorials, all with history, and many sad tales behind them. HQNI asked all the respective units/RHQs/etc what they would wish to happen to each one, before anything moved. Without going into massive detail, the various units and RHQs decided where they would wish things to go, and HQ 39 Inf Bde and QM CHESHIRES (the current BKL Bn) between them did a brilliant job in ensuring they were carefully packaged up and moved. The destinations range from Regtl Museums in GB, unit RHQs in Germany and GB, and memorial sites in other long term sites in NI. For example, most of the memorials that have a connection with the antecedent regiments of the RIFLES are being installed in Ballykinler, where 2 RIFLES arrive in August this year.

Disposal: Bessbrook Mill isn't MoD property to give away or sell. it has a landowner. The owner is being given back his property by the end of July, once the site has had our various 'modifications' removed, cleared up, and finally searched.

If anyone needs to know more, G1 Branch HQNI (or for the estate, DE in NI) have all this in hand.

Hope that helps - sorry its all a bit po faced!!
  8. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Is it me or has this post got shorter???
  9. Just a little bit shorter! I think that the Mods culled a few too many posts during the clean up after the Troll attacks yesterday. There was a Photo on here that was removed, so (because I can) I'll put it back.

This was Bessbrook Mill in 1999.

Attached Files:

10. Ahh the memories. I remember running down that ramp to the HLS, the sweet smell of Avtur...................
  11. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Thought that was why Legs.
    As I being Crab Air & with family coming from here,I never served in the Province but I would just like to say a big thanks to all those who did.
    Thanks for facing a gutless cowardly enemy who murdered & destroyed at will.Who shot & bombed innocent people going about there day to day live.The are so many horrific act's these murderes commited,Warrenpoint,Cpls Woods & Howe's,LCpl Restoric not to mention the scores of UDR,RUC & Soldiers murdered at the drop of a hat.
    I for one will remember.