Bespoke Tailor or Shirt Maker needed.

You'd think it would be quite easy, quick search of Internet and job jobbed.

Having no thumbs means buttons really are a no no, so I need to speak to a decent tailor who can make me what I need at a reasonable price. All the ones I've checked out just measure up and work from patterns or send measurements off to Nepal for it to be manufactured cheap.

Buying a shirt and having it altered is not on, they tend to do a shit job for more than the cost of the shirt and it neither feels or looks good.

Any help will be good. I'm in the midlands, but UK wide is fine.

Never thought of that, just tried to fasten a couple of shirt buttons without using my thumbs, without much success.

Don't know any shirters personally, but if it's within your budget any bespoke tailor should be able to run some up. Failing that, have you tried asking on a web forum for sewing enthusiasts? There are a lot of highly skilled seamstresses out there happy to make a bit of pin money, I got a collarless short I bought in Prague copied very skilfully after asking on a (now-defunct) crafts forum.

L

lumpy2

My mother in law is an expert seamstress and has also made bespoke leather gloves for people with missing fingers. And she likes a challenge!

Dingerr - what sort of fastenings would be useful to you? I can't promise anything, but I could certainly run it past her.

She is a very practical lady, but for **** sake don't ever get her talking - she likes nothing better than a captive audience ;-)

How about this lady:

Style for Soldiers | Luxury Cotton Shirt | Emma Willis

Quote from the site:

In gratitude for the courage and sacrifice of our service men and women, Emma visits Headley Court, the rehabilitation Centre for the injured, to make them a complementary monogrammed bespoke shirt in our luxury cottons. We are also giving to those who use them, of whom there are many, a hand carved ebony walking stick with a buffalo horn handle, and silver band engraved with their regiment and initials. They are extremely appreciative, taking great trouble to choose their fabrics and style of shirt, and there is always excitement when we arrive with the finished shirts and sticks. We have received many moving letters and emails of thanks, when of course they are the ones to be thanked.

So far we have funded the cost of the shirts and sticks, with generous donations from customers and friends. In order to continue to make as many shirts and sticks as possible we would be grateful for further donations. These could be made by sending a cheque payable to ‘Style for Soldiers’ and sent to us at Emma Willis, 66 Jermyn Street, London, SW1Y 6NY...Or for online donations, please visit the British Forces Foundation website,www.bff.org.uk who are supporting the campaign. ALL proceeds go to making shirts and sticks, not towards any administration costs.

We were honoured to have received a Morale Award from the British Forces Foundation, and to be nominated in the Sun Military Awards 2010 for Support to The Armed Forces for our Shirts for Soldiers incentive at Headley Court Rehabilitation hospital.
The free thumb-stick might be taking the piss, but you may even find that you will be looked after with a free shirt!

Emma already produces shirts for injured troops, she comes to Headley and does them for free. Her shirts are normally £300+ so it would be more than cheeky of me to pop in the shop and ask for a free one and £300 is far too much.

She is gorgeous though and so are her daughters.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Emma already produces shirts for injured troops, she comes to Headley and does them for free. Her shirts are normally £300+ so it would be more than cheeky of me to pop in the shop and ask for a free one and £300 is far too much.

She is gorgeous though and so are her daughters.
Thailand would be another option I'd happily shove you about. Once they've your measurements you'd be sorted.

D

Deleted 20555

£220 for a off the peg shirt? I'd need a **** more than just "looking after" for that price...

Just asked the mother-in-law who is a skilled, though retired, seamstress, she suggested just getting a normal shirt and putting velcro on both sides of the fastening, with dummy buttons sewn through the buttonholes into the velcro on one side. Reckons you should get the adjustments done for thirty quid or less.