Bernard Grays Review

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by mongoose9, Oct 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have read the MOD release on the above which seemed not too concerned and talking about challenges but overall not too bad.

Yet the independent press are saying this is a damning indictment.

??

2. In his report, Mr Gray said: “The problems and the sums of money involved have almost lost their power to shock so endemic is the issue.

“It seems as though military equipment acquisition is vying in a technological race with the delivery of civilian software systems for the title of ‘world’s most-delayed technical solution’.

“How can it be that it takes 20 years to buy a ship, or aircraft or tank?

“Why does it always seem to cost at least twice what was thought?

“Even worse, at the end of the wait, why does it never quite seem to do what it was supposed to?”

In an unsparing assessment of the MoD’s performance, Mr Gray concluded the procurement process was so incompetent and inefficient the only solution was to privatise it.

Ah that's a more accurate assessment.....buffoons! And not actually the executive or parliament but our own MOD (with some help from the services I presume).

3. I still have not seen a copy of the Gray review. Is it available through the DII internet page?

4. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

To give the MoD and even the Labour Party its due, allowing publication is quite a commitment to open government.

The first step, as they say, is admitting the problem.

It also goes to great lengths to say we are no worse or better than anyone else

Privatising does seem rather daft, given the likely candidates would be people like KBR, EDS, VT, BAe etc etc. Wouldnt that be like putting fatties in charge of dunkin doughnuts

5. The MoD will be blamed for this, whilst New Labour walks away claiming
    a) the problems begun under Thatcher; and
    b) the problems exist under Cameron and he's doing nothing about it; and
    c) we the public should be grateful to New Labour for bringing it to wider attention.

The result was known LONG before Gray was engaged in the first place.

The timing of the report is more interesting.

6. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

Yes I agree to some extent, there will always be some spin on anything like this and I realise that most of the problems have been known about and discussed for ages.

Why should the MoD and military not carry some of the blame, I have always maintained it is not just the lack of cash, yes that is part of the equation but everyone concerned should share

7. Open government you say :roll:

Exhibit A

Daily Mail - Der Klicken Linken

Exhibit B

David Cameron during PMQ before Parliamentary recess...

Labour attempted to suppress the report but have had to release as a result of sustained pressure but even then it was not released until after their conference. For those who wonder what the opposition has been doing with themselves as you can see they are doing their job; which is difficult given the slippery lying way the Government operates...

8. An excellent report!

Unfortunate that much of it has already been said as far back as the Downey reforms. Conspiracies of optimism, bloated procedures, indecsion, lack of accountability.

The absolute key recommendation has to be DE&S as a Government Owned Contractor Operated Organisation - only privitaisation will reduce the overhead hungry "public accountability" and "assurance" buraucracy to a lean cost effective decsion making machine.

Bring it on!

9. Defence spending has always been seen as a political tool for propping up certain industries in order to 'create' jobs and improve failing balance sheets without breaking WTO, EU or other trading rules. It is also seen as a way of 'confirming' international political relationships. When it comes to the equipment budget, there is little left of the cake for the Services to fight over to purchase the equipment they really need that can do the job.

Yes, the military is also to blame for the gross wastage - inter-service rivalry being the main culprit and the 'failure' to find a balance between military posting limitations and the need for long term appointments to key aquisition slots another issue. However, much of this is off the back of abysmal politicking by that part of Whitehall that considers itself the civilian master-race.

10. I wouldn't pee on the Labour Govt if it was on fire, I despise them more than nearly anything (not quite as much as the Aussie Rugby team!); BUT why is it that we (the Army) must blame someone else.

We the Military/Army play a major role in procurement and therefore have to shoulder some of the responsibility for what Gray says.

Perhaps we should look inwardly, clean up our own backyard and then point at others.

Just a thought

11. Quite so. But where (exactly) do you think uniformed staff are going wrong?

12. Great question!

There are, regrettably a few guys who either see a procurement post as an interuption/embuggerance to thier command career.

There are also some who are guilty of joining the conspiracy of optimism.

There are occasions when it's obvious to everybody that a requirement is too complicated, too expensive or the timeline totally unrealistic and the uniformed staff don't speak out. Who want's to be the Artillery officer who cans the FAWS gun programme or the RAF Officer who says Eurofighter will take another five years?

It's understandable when you look at a system that equates a 25 yr graduate whose never been outside an office (and I don't mean a design office) with a Company Commander or a 30 yr "fast tracker" with a ship's Captain because they've got a nice MBA - and of course a WO/SNCO is "junior" to the most Admin Assistant!!

Sound like a rant - it is. Somebody needs to walk through ABW on a Monday morning and fire everybody sat in the neighbourhood cafes after 9.00AM - might motivate the rest to get a f***ing grip.

13. ... and the one recommendation which the SoS rejected outright was that of contractor operation of DE&S.

I suspect that we won't see any changes, barring the odd new initiative with a catchy title, replacing Smart Procurement. Shall we have a competition to guess what it'll be called?

I'll start with "dumbass panic buying".

14. Sadly I don't even think there will be that.

Smart procurement (as I was taught about) was supposed to be the answer.... Hmmmmm not so much........... better but NOT brilliant.

I wonder if any of the large sucessful companies out there is the corperate world have systems like we have to suffer. And I would offer that the "Management" side of the military could SERIOUSLY learn from them.

MOTS for a start

But again, sadly votes, jobs, unions and an unwillingness of senior service people in the procurement chain to put their foots down will ensure we maintain a mediocre procurement system.

Again just my rambling thoughts, wish I had the answers as I'd leave and become a contractor and make my fortune :)