• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Berlin relives assassination of top Nazi in Prague

Good for them, good riddance to genuine scum - the extermination of Jews in the four main gassing sites in Poland was codenamed Operation REINHARD in memory of the man whose scheme it was. I think I'll have a pint to piss on his ghost as it were tonight

And to add, the assasins were trained by Special Operations Executive and parachuted in from Britain. Perhaps it was fitting that Heydrich took a slow few days to die, caused by an infection from the horsehair stuffing from his car's upholstery I believe.

This was an interesting point at the end of the article:
According to recently released government documents, Britain's wartime leader Winston Churchill even suggested leveling three German villages for every Czech village the Nazis destroyed.
I guess from the same release of documents where Churchill said he wanted Hitler to fry in the Electric Chair without trial, if captured alive.

S/Ldr Roger Bushell ( BIG X in the great Escape ) was hiding out in the city after his escape during Reinhard .Because of the extra security looking for the assasins, he was caught and eventually executed by the Gestapo.

Interesting stuff pops up when you scratch the surface, the sort that they would rather you forgot. The Op Antropoid boys are pretty much national heros in Slovakia today, but during WWII the slovak government paid the Germans 500Marks per individual to take their Jews away after the Germans said they would only accept able-bodied Jews for work in labour camps. Three guesses what happened to the non-able.

Quite a few references about: 1, 2, 3.

Herrenbloke said:
Actually he died because of the Bio Toxins we put in the Grenade...
Allegedly - personally I'm unconvinced by Paul Fildes' claim. Surely it would of been more logical and practical if using a bio-toxin to administer it covertly and thus avoid the reprisals?

Harry_Boomers said:
S/Ldr Roger Bushell ( BIG X in the great Escape ) was hiding out in the city after his escape during Reinhard .Because of the extra security looking for the assasins, he was caught and eventually executed by the Gestapo.
The events were about two years apart, the Great Escape took place during March 1944. And Sagan is nowhere near Prague.

I always considered "SS-Obergruppenfuehrer Reinhard Heydrich" to be the Evil Brain of the SS.
A very inteligent and ruthless man from what I have read.
I will suggest tha 'Brit Inteligence' took the same view.
He is the only person of an assasination I can recall from WW II, altho the raid on Rommels Desert HQ was suggested to be of the same nature.
Something of an insult to a oustanding German General who is now 'given' as a role model to modern German troops.
john

jonwilly said:
I always considered "SS-Obergruppenfuehrer Reinhard Heydrich" to be the Evil Brain of the SS.
He certainly personified Nazism; blonde haired, blue eyed, architect of the Holocaust and one evil son of a biatch.

jonwilly said:
He is the only person of an assasination I can recall from WW II, altho the raid on Rommels Desert HQ was suggested to be of the same nature.
Something of an insult to a oustanding German General who is now 'given' as a role model to modern German troops.
john
There was also Operation Foxley, an SOE plan to assassinate Hitler by sniper in 1944 but it was shelved. The head of SOE German Section, Lt. Col. Ronald Thornley, was of the opinion that it could result in Hitler becoming a martyr.

The Sten, nows there's one for History & Militare.
Back in about 71/72 we went to Cyprus on ex. We had a weekend free and a trip laid on to Kyrenia with its harbour. We where told not to go down the docks and look at The Greek 'Gunboat' illegally visiting.
So naturally off we march three of us old drinking buddies to go see the 'Battleship'. We marched arm around shoulder and bellys well topped up on local brew and there lo and behold was the Pride of the Greek Navy. We had but got in viewing range when a Greek Mataleo steps out raises and COCKs his Sten, pointing it directly at us. No one said a word but three brit squaddies did an about turn that a Guards RSM would have proud of and departed up the road we had come at a hight rate of knots.
john

jonwilly said:
john
According to Nigel West, who quotes the head of Czech Military Intelligence at the time (Col. Frantisek Moravic) in Secret War, the plan was Czech in origin and SOE (and through them the RAF) provided invaluable support, but it was not a British idea.

jonwilly said:
john

The Yanks assasinated a Jap admiral, ambushing his flight with long range fighters and deep-sixing him...was it Yamamoto? I can't recall, naval/air ops in the Pacific being tangential to my interests.

[quote="Cuddles

The Yanks assasinated a Jap admiral, ambushing his flight with long range fighters and deep-sixing him...was it Yamamoto? I can't recall, naval/air ops in the Pacific being tangential to my interests.[/quote]
Correct. A by-product of having cracked the Japanese codes.
Apropos Heydrich: the uber-Aryan was reputed to have a Jewish grandparent - possibly a Sefton Delmer bit of disinformation, or does an Arrser have a definitive source to prove the allegation?

I visited the Church of St. Cyril's (I think that's what it's called) a few years back in Prague. It was where the commandos were holed up and committed suicide, depicted quite well in the film Operation Daybreak. The SS flooded the cellar where they were hiding.

Next door is a rather tacky cafe called "The Parachutist" but at the church there is a small memorial dedicated to the men who died assassinating Heydrich. Touchingly, on a mid-winters day in late 2003, there were fresh flowers laid there for them.

The National Archives show that at a Cabinet meeting on 06 Jul 1942, The PM stated:

"Contemplate tht. if Hitler falls into our hands we shall certainly put him to death.
Not a Sovereign who cd. be said to be in hands of Ministers, like Kaiser.
This man is the mainspring of evil. Instrument – electric chair, for gangsters no doubt available on Lease Lend
."

I love the bit about obtaining The Chair under Lend Lease.

More Cabinet notes on War criminals here: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/releases/2006/january/january1/war_crimes.htm

Latest Threads