Berlin Burning

Wartime ammo risk as wildfire spreads near Berlin

Well not quite the city itself but a large forest fire has caused the evacuation of a few villages outside Berlin(someone will be along to blame, the EU/IMF/austerity and/or Brexit shortly). Firefighting efforts are being hampered by unexploded ordnance in the woods. (Russia, the US and the Brits again).

“Something like that, we didn’t even experience during the war,” said 76-year-old Anita Biedermann. Which is odd since she wasn't around during the war.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Excellent news, let's hope it spreads like er, wildfire, they can then concentrate on that instead of trying to beat us up with talk of Brexit or something similar I keep hearing about every damn day.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Well, I guess a forest fire beats walking a herd of pigs/PoWs across an area littered with unexploded ordnance....

I think there was a similar report around Berlin a couple of weeks ago, with some actually cooking off.

ETA, from 27 Jul 18:

'The German news agency dpa reported Friday that it was difficult for firefighters to get inside the pine forest near Fichtenwalde, 22 miles from the capital, because there were indications that some of the munitions may already have detonated due to the fire and that the safety of the firefighters might be at risk.'

Old WWII ammo hampers forest fire fight in Germany

Excellent news, let's hope it spreads like er, wildfire, they can then concentrate on that instead of trying to beat us up with talk of Brexit or something similar I keep hearing about every damn day.
You think it's an MI6 operation to derail the chance of a negotiated Brexit settlement and put manners on the ECHR, impose a Ring-of-Steel border on the island of Ireland, oust Jeremy Corbyn, put Boris on the throne and curtail Medecins Sans Frontieres runaway people-trafficking across the Med?

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
You think it's an MI6 operation to derail the chance of a negotiated Brexit settlement and put manners on the ECHR, impose a Ring-of-Steel border on the island of Ireland, oust Jeremy Corbyn, put Boris on the throne and curtail Medecins Sans Frontieres runaway people-trafficking across the Med?
I quite like that.:grin:

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I quite like that.:grin:
A LOT=-D.

Wartime ammo risk as wildfire spreads near Berlin

Well not quite the city itself but a large forest fire has caused the evacuation of a few villages outside Berlin(someone will be along to blame, the EU/IMF/austerity and/or Brexit shortly). Firefighting efforts are being hampered by unexploded ordnance in the woods. (Russia, the US and the Brits again).

“Something like that, we didn’t even experience during the war,” said 76-year-old Anita Biedermann. Which is odd since she wasn't around during the war.

Jeez! Haven't you learned that the boxheads are the World biggest liars when it comeS to 'Ze War' .........Er, she was 3 when it ended.

I still laugh at the German Politician who on a D Day Anniversary had the brass b*ll*xs to declare that D Day was the start of the liberation of the German people from the Nazi's.

Cheeky Fotze

She might not have the best memories of it but my maths indicates she would have been a toddler at the end of the war.

According to German news it's all stuff from WWII, therefore mixed Wehrmacht and Sov stuff.
Given bombing accuracy at the time, there's probably some RAF stuff in there too. I'm not sure the USAAF ever raided Berlin.

Given bombing accuracy at the time, there's probably some RAF stuff in there too. I'm not sure the USAAF ever raided Berlin.
The yanks did as well.

The yanks did as well.
Apparently so, but with the Norden bombsight, the benefit of daylight visibility and their doctrine of 'precision bombing', they couldn't have possibly scattered bombs that far from the capital.:eek:

Last edited:
Apparently so, but with the Norden bombsight, the benefit of daylight and their doctrine of 'precision bombing', they couldn't have possibly scattered bombs that far from the capital.:eek:
I did a battlefield study in Berlin, they got off quite lightly compared to the other German cities due to the distance it was from the UK, they didn't really start getting hammered until about 1944 when allied planes could start flying from France.

Latest Threads