Berlin Armoured Squadron

Discussion in 'RAC' started by commander, Aug 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Any one tell me which regiment provide the Berling Squadron in 12/09/88 :D
  2. pretty sure it was 14/20th
  3. Correct..............C Sqn!
  4. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

My brain has never been the same since our Sqn went down to stand in for 4 RTR for a month in the 70’s. We became a nocturnal Sqn.

0830 hrs – first parade
    0900 hrs – check stowage ensure ammo all present and correct and no damage
    1000 hrs – NAAFI
    1030 hrs – bed
    1700-0800 hrs – Down the town

and 3 rocking horses to boot.

Great place but couldn’t survive for more than a month at a time.
  5. Did that for two years...would'nt change that posting for anything!! :D
  6. Thanks for replies, can we be 100% certain that it was 14/20 as i have also been told it was Royal Hussars.

7. was 14/20th
  8. C Sqn, 14/20 Hussars were in Smuts Bks at the time. I was there, not BAS but another Bde unit.

9. I can assure you it was the 14th/20th Kings Hussars. They took over from the QRH in 1985 and were there till the options for change.
    I was fortunate enough to be posted there in the luxury " Hilton Hotel" (single room with hot and cold running toliet as a trooper) untill posted to Munster
  10. 14/20th rings bells> I was in Monty Bks with the Inf.
  11. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I never did Berlin myself and had long since left 15/19H before Options For Change, but Allan Mallinson's "Light Dragoons" has a picture or two of a squadron (B?) of 15/19H in Berlin taken the day before the Wall came down in 1989.

Doesn't tie in with what you say. Or a meringue?

Confused of Southampton.
  12. Due to Cold war politics,the Berlin Armoured Squadron was always replaced by a sqn from a BAOR armoured regiment when they deployed to Hohne & Soltau. As they were away for approx 6 weeks ( they did Hohne & Soltau in one big bash) it was felt that Berlin could not be without an armoured sqn for that amount of time.

Numerous regiments stood in for the 14/20H, A Sqn 1 RTR were there in the summer of 1986. it was fantastic!! We even had the wives over from Hildesheim for a weekend ( Edinburgh House Hotel). My son was conceived in Berlin ( yes I was present at the time!!) all in all I do wish I could have had a 2 year stint in Berlin, magical posting.
  13. Tiny..Does your wife know about your son???? :D Was there with A Sqn in 67 - 69..ah! memories
  14. D Squadron the Blues & Royals did the baby sitting summer 89 for the 14/20th
    What a great place
    and what a great exchange rate West DM to east DM
  15. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Furry muff. Thanks for clearing that up.