Berghaus Munro or Motherload?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by snakedoc93, Jun 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am currently looking at getting an new daysack for UK or european work and cant decide what to get. I have narrowed it down to either the Berghaus Munro or the camelbak motherload as i have been told great things about both of them.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

2. Berghaus Munro - still the best daysack ever (especially if you can find a 1980s DPM version....).

3. There's a DPM Munro on ebay at the moment. Last time I looked it was about £35 with 2 days left.

4. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

I bet it's my one that was nicked in Bessbrook Mill in 1986!

5. JINGO

JINGO War Hero Book Reviewer

The Munro is bulletproof ive had mineover 15 years and its still 100 percent sound. Great kit.

6. depends what you want munro big sac bullet proof and thats about it.
    camel back lots of little pockets to organise/lose things :roll: in and water bladder thrown in

7. Bollocks. You lot must be old codgers that haven't been on an operational tour for years. The munro hasn't got a patch on the motherlode. The munro wouldn't fit all the kit in reqd on today's operations. It has nowhere near as many compartments as the motherlode and is nowhere near as comfy. The motherlode also has a 3ltr hydration system as well as antenna holes for stowing radios inside the daysack. The motherlode also comes in a variety of colours. Put simply, the munro is far too small for current ops.

8. Ooooohh.... steady..... there are some present who have been on ops with a Pattern '58 pack.....

I guess it depends whether or not you think drinking bladders and iPod pocketrs are a silly fad or not...

I find that the Munro was an optimum size: when used as a radio bag or snatch bag it is still small enough to be strapped under the lid of a main bergan. I suppose a "mini-bergan" is fine if you never have to carry your real bergan at the same time.

10. The OP did make it clear that he wanted a day sack for UK/European activities

No need to start grinding your bayonet, for hats or any other lower life forms Falls'

Why don't you write a fecking book rather than constantly squealing about current Ops and your deep understanding and personal experience of them, gets a bit predictable and dull

11. You did say for European and UK?

I swapped an issue NI daysack for a Munro (for hillbashing) when I "retired" and think its overated.

Its no longer made in the UK and the material isn't as tough as it was (compared to a pair of cyclops side pockets I have made by berghaus in the UK)

The shoulder straps are a bit narrow and the buckles tend to chafe.

The back system is also non existent,just canvas with no vents and therefore you will sweat like a Belgian paedophile

That said, it has been around the world and looks brand new. Definatley durable.

Cant comment on the Camelback, but I've had f@@king hundreds of knackered zips on issue bergans through the store with the young uns, so am against them for the main clousure...

F@@@ it, buy a sas bergen... :D

12. Apologies for being current on ops. I shall refrain from going on tour from now on.

Don't read my posts then..........You mong.

13. You appear to have an angry hard-on for anyone who hasn't shared the same dust as you, even getting the digs in when they are totally irrelevant to the thread

Its hard to miss your posts as you appear to have an unassailable opinion on most topics...........

14. But if you're after a daysac to use in conjunction with webbing and other kit, then its an advantage not to have loads of straps or suspension parts to get tangled up. The flat back is useful to work off if you need a surface to write on whilst out in the ooloo..... although being a cadet (apparently) I suppose I wouldn't know about that sort of thing... :D