Berghaus Crusader/Cyclops bergan

Time for a swift thread resurrection: I was in the Berghaus store at Mcarthur Glen, Bridgend today and they had a Crusader with side pouches in coyote for £130 (RRP £230) if anyone is after one. Didn't check the back length but you could give them a call.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Got brand new Berghaus Crusader.------------Unused.

Don't know what back length it is.

Cost me £50 ---30 years ago.

Ain't likely to use it now!

cymraeg

War Hero
How much

I'll go half way-----------£75--plus I'm sure there's a pussers feather doss bag as well.

Last edited:
85845-zoom.jpg

My one hasn't got the bottom pocket an zip.

If it's 30 years old I'm guessing it doesn't have the MOLLE either?

Talking out of my bum, via a mobile telephone.
Mine is, and doesn't. It was barely 30 when the lid elastic went floppy...

I'm sat staring at my Berghaus Monro with floppy lid. It went on a beach recce with me 3 nights ago it had a sleeping mat on top of it, perfect fit.
By my reckoning it's 19 year old.

Can that be right??

Who's Molle?

Time for a swift thread resurrection: I was in the Berghaus store at Mcarthur Glen, Bridgend today and they had a Crusader with side pouches in coyote for £130 (RRP £230) if anyone is after one. Didn't check the back length but you could give them a call.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
I was in there last month and it's still there. I was initially tempted but it would have been an impulse buy, i've got too many Kifaru and Mystery Ranch that i don't use much anymore. Plus i've still got my Berghaus Munro WITH side pouches that i got in the late 80's, at the same time i got my Barbour Range jacket (International). Retired with dignity now i have a 5.11 Rush 12 for EDC and a Rush 24 for weekends away.

Sold the AP Bergen last year, it was showing its age. The Cyclops Roc is still going strong. Better than the bit of issued DPM tat I have...

another Roc going strong here - i've had the elastic re-done, got rid of the ski patches and ice axe holders, got rid of the accessory straps and slides on the front and replaced them with shock cord - but its still in excellent nick and at least as comfortable and more practical than later designs...

i've got a Crusader (old style without the zipped bottom compartment) with side pockets, but tbh it doesn't get used - the Roc will happily carry everything i need for a 4/5 day walk across Snowdonia or the Highlands in winter, and being old, lazy and fat i don't want to carry any more than that...

the Crusader mostly got used for moving house. i put a tv in it.

Thread necro - Still got the Roc, and yesterday "invested" in a Cyclops II Vucan, because I could. It dwarfs the Roc! But, I like.

Advantages over the Roc:
- Greater capacity (not always a good thing).
- Zip-attached side pockets.
- Chest strap; a user-add on, buts takes advantage of the 'molle' straps
- More comfortable belt
- bottom compartment, which is not wholly separate
- improved back padding - its certainly thicker
- uses snap lock connectors, not just buckles, for loop/strap adjustment

Disadvantages:
- Greater capacity ;)
- No inner "map pocket"on the back panel
- Top flap pocket is forward opening, so cannot reach around, unzip pocket and remove item.
- Top flap pocket is smaller than the Roc's, with a narrower zip opening

Unsure
- New frame design.

Not used in anger yet, so a real-life comparison is yet to come. My Roc has been a rock since the 80's, 35years old and still going strong. All I have replaced is one top anchor/adjust strap on the, um, straps you put arms through to carry it (ffs, brain!). Why buy another? It's getting a bit tatty, and I don't want it to break at a key moment. I still compete in Lanyard, and have used the Roc over the issued bergan (when questione if it's issued kit, I was "issued this before you were born").

Berghaus Roc2. Had it since 1990.
Residing in the mancave, gets used occasionally for carp fishing.
Still going strong, cracking bit of kit.

As a point of principle my Roc still travels the world with me and has since 1990.
Okay you often have to take it to the 'special' luggage bit at airports but its always the only one on the carousel and you have the fun of making space when you fling it on your back, scattering the mongs who think the closer you get the quicker your kit arrives.
I do recall on an Ex Lion Sun an Oppo, who liked lifting heavy things, tin of foot power exploded in his Roc so he decided to clean it out with a hose.
It was pretty impressive to see it full of water and barely leaking from the seams when he picked it up.

Latest Threads