Berghaus Crusader/Cyclops bergan

Can this thread be cross-referenced (or should that be cross-referred?.... discuss) with the 'Grammar Nazi hates.....' thread? It's called a ******* "Bergen"

BERGEN!!!

While I'm at it, a 'Nissan Hut' is a prefabricated construction intended to house a Japanese car. Otherwise it DOES NOT ******* EXIST!

.... and breathe!
Bergans of Norway

SK

Brand name walts.

eBay.co.uk Guides - SAS PARA Bergen Rucksacks

"All British soldiers today call their rucksacks "Bergens" (Often miss-spelt as "Bergans"). The term comes from the original '42 Pattern external 'A' frame rucksack that was closely modelled on skiers' rucksacks made or used at Bergen, Norway."

"The '42 Bergen was replaced by the '72 Patt "Rucksack SAS" - also known as the "SAS/PARA" or "Airborne" Bergen. (NSN 8465-99-136-1886) This had a square external frame that was also used for carrying the Clansman PRC 351 and 352 radio sets. From habit, these were called "Bergens" - despite the fact that, strictly speaking, they weren't because of the shape of the frame and pack."

The hyphenated word "miss-spelt" in the first quoted paragraph will not escape the more astute lovers of irony.

Bergan, like Rosta, has entered the lexicon. I suspect in a rare example of intertextuality actually happening rather than just existing in the mind of literary critics the company cited by SKJOLD has just taken up the incorrect spelling...

Mattb

LE
Pretty sure that the spellings bergen and bergan are fairly interchangable.

Definately correct on the Nissen Hut though.

Also, a hangar is somewhere to store 'planes, a hanger is something to put your jacket on.

I see the the Wah, but will blindly run headlong into it.

Bergans 100 år

Bergen = A city on the west coast of Norway. Famous for pissing down with rain most of the time.
Bergan = A ruck sack invented by OLe F Bergan in 1908

SK

I see the the Wah, but will blindly run headlong into it.

Bergans 100 år

Bergen = A city on the west coast of Norway. Famous for pissing down with rain most of the time.
Bergan = A ruck sack invented by OLe F Bergan in 1908

SK
Hmm... I might have to back away gracefully from this one. In future, I shall refer to it as "a hoover".

Hmm... I might have to back away gracefully from this one. In future, I shall refer to it as "a hoover".
Don't be so specific. Vacuum cleaner* would be more appropriate than Whover or Dieson.

*or as the infant MasterPlume had it the fuckyoo cleaner :wink:

spins

Old-Salt
My Roc is in the attic had it since 84. Bit of stitching going (from fitting 4 side pouches instead of 2 (2 fitted to side compression straps). Padding and elastic shot to bits but just can't get rid. Might even get Berghaus to re-furb it one day, they were sold "Guaranteed for Life" and I'm still going!:salut:
I'm afraid the lifetime guarantee ain't what it used to be. I got mine fixed, the lid elastic and a bit of stitching, FOC in the mid nineties under the 'Lifetime Guarantee, but that's no longer the case. I tried to get my lid done again last year and I was fobbed off to : Gore-Tex and Outdoor Gear Repairs and more or less suggested that I might like to buy a more up to date 'rucksack'.

We could form a group/get a bus/start a petition. All it takes is two to start. Who knows? The mighty corporate juggernaut that Berghaus is now, might just listen to a bunch of old'n'grumpy Cold War Warriors with smelly old bergens. OTOH they might just tell us to STFU and suck it up.

Anyone else wanna start a movement??

spins

I'm afraid the lifetime guarantee ain't what it used to be. I got mine fixed, the lid elastic and a bit of stitching, FOC in the mid nineties under the 'Lifetime Guarantee, but that's no longer the case. I tried to get my lid done again last year and I was fobbed off to : Gore-Tex and Outdoor Gear Repairs and more or less suggested that I might like to buy a more up to date 'rucksack'.

We could form a group/get a bus/start a petition. All it takes is two to start. Who knows? The mighty corporate juggernaut that Berghaus is now, might just listen to a bunch of old'n'grumpy Cold War Warriors with smelly old bergens. OTOH they might just tell us to STFU and suck it up.

Anyone else wanna start a movement??

spins
No, as Berghaus are still obliged to honour the Lifetime Guarantee that they sold with the kit. They might not like it, and will try to fob you off, but that's their problem. The guarantee was sold with the item, as part of the price. Don't be fobbed off, simply ask for the next level of manager.

If they eventually refuse to talk to you, contact the Company Secretary (a legally required position for all UK companies), and take the matter up with "him" (or her).

Now, all that said. Do you have the original guarantee, which sets put the details? Is it limited in anyway - such as "to the original purchaser" or any form of time limit such as 24months? Does it have exclusions?

Without that, we might just be fecked :)

Mattb

LE
Surely the question is what was it gauranteed against. If it was against manufacturing defects, then if it's come unstitched through being picked up in the wrong place, etc then they don't have to do anything.

Bullshot!

Old-Salt
Canvas OG Roc, bought in 1983. Still going strong, though it doesn't get too many outings. A few minor repairs and new elastic added last year. The original frame was twisted and bent by early '90s so replaced in with a trial PLCE bergan frame. Did the trick and is probably a better frame. Still comfortable for 8 milers, though I might have to get a MTP cover to avoid looking like an '80s re-enactor.

Anyone still have a Berghaus Crusader/Cyclops Roc bergan or Munro 35 festering in their loft/attic/shed/locker (delete as necessary)?

Or even better, is anyone still utilising said bit of kit in order to prove their 'veteran' status?!
Crusader 83 vintage out in the shed full of climbing gear. Bust one of the top securing clips in 95 and some stiching went on the top lid in 2006 on an exped.

Bergan full of climbing gear not the shed.

Mattb

LE
Canvas OG Roc, bought in 1983. Still going strong, though it doesn't get too many outings. A few minor repairs and new elastic added last year. The original frame was twisted and bent by early '90s so replaced in with a trial PLCE bergan frame. Did the trick and is probably a better frame. Still comfortable for 8 milers, though I might have to get a MTP cover to avoid looking like an '80s re-enactor.
Interesting - wonder if a PLCE frame would fit my Cyclops?

Anyone still have a Berghaus Crusader/Cyclops Roc bergan or Munro 35 festering in their loft/attic/shed/locker (delete as necessary)?

Or even better, is anyone still utilising said bit of kit in order to prove their 'veteran' status?!
Funny you should ask.

Last summer I eBayed a 1976 vintage Roc, and a 1991 Crusader

The latter went to a bloke living on a Jockinese isle, whose plans included a trans-Alpine hike later in the year.

I have to say, though, that I thought the 76 edition was more robust than the 91.

and I bought PLCE Bergans for my kids (and me) to replace them.

spins

Old-Salt
Now, all that said. Do you have the original guarantee, which sets put the details? Is it limited in anyway - such as "to the original purchaser" or any form of time limit such as 24months? Does it have exclusions?

Without that, we might just be fecked :)
What guarantee? I got it from the PRI nearly 30 years ago. I don't even remember a receipt. All I remember is thinking that his was an awful lot of Old Holborn and Herfies so I'd better look after it. Worth every penny when the the alternative was pack, large (NSN: Feck1n8-u531355). I have looked after it, but like all of us, with age, bits have worn off, loosened, tightened, come undone, can't remember what it's for or just don't work anymore.

I'll have another go at Berghaus and see where I get to.

AS AR

spins

I know I really want to buy a Berghaus Crusader, even though I have a Roc in DPM, a Vulcan and two PLCEs / short and long.

There are too many Bergans but I still want more, I have a problem!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone interested in seeing a pic of Karrimor(at work cant remember the name) 80ltr job lost the side pouches which took it up to 120ltrs had a fully adjustable back set up? I bought it 2nd off one of the lads on MT in JLRs just after we disbanded in 1992 pricely sum of £30 still works as it should

Latest Threads