Berghaus Crusader/Cyclops bergan

jboldie

Old-Salt
Sill use my Munro 35 daily and still have Vulcan in loft(can't bring myself to get rid,somehow).Elastic on Munro lid going AWOL at present like earlier poster's example otherwise both in good condition.

matchstick

Clanker
I've got a cyclops roc, rescued it when I saw it being thrown away just needs some minor repairs and it's good as new.
From the qauntity of names and service numbers on it I'd say it's been in service for a while.
Next time I get leave I intend to get it upto JayJays and get it the neccessary repairs done I prefer the old kit to what we get dished out these days seems to last a hell of a lot longer.

I was a Karrimor man & had an 80-100l olive green bergen (forget the name of it now). That was bought in 1989 and was still going strong in 2007 when i was working in Central America (partly in the jungle). The padding in the shoulder straps has compressed so much it's as if they are't padded any more, though.

My daysack was a Hot Rock which again did sterling service although eventually the ribbed plastic protection on the bottom fell off and the "frame" inside a polystyrene sit mat had broken through the bag so that's in the loft full of bits & pieces I can't bear to throw away. I've moved on to MacPac for daysacks now, although mistakenly bought a short back one.

timex

Old-Salt
Moved house 4 yrs ago and the Roc was finally consigned to the skip, bought in 80 and did numerous winters and the FI sadly beyond repair but a great testament to Berghaus durability.

I was climbing at Gogarth at the weekend and someone at the crag had an old Roc to carry their gear in. I used a crusader a few times rather than use the issued hand bag and it was great.

PBUH

LE
Berghaus Delta. I keep gardening clothes etc in it in my shed. It also has a secret stash of McVities Fruit Shortbread biscuits in one of the side pockets. Don't tell Mrs PBUH......

Mattb

LE
I bought my first Berghaus bergen (80L Cyclops) in the late '90s as a cadet in an Army Surplus store, for the tidy sum of £25. It was well used by then, had to have been at least 10 years old - the elastic around the lid had gone.

Finally broke it about two years ago (climbing the 'Fan, no less!) when the frame actually snapped in half. Still have it - I keep meaning to look into either getting a new frame or possibly canibalising an old one (so if anyone's got a festering one somewhere with fucked fabric but a servicable frame, let me know!).

Also have a Munro which I bought new a few years ago, great bit of kit and just starting to acquire that all-important patina.

spins

Old-Salt
Yep, Crusader with side pouches, bought in PRI in mid 80's for about 3 months wages IIRC, in Herford, (notice careful spelling)... One of the very few things left from my time in green.

Still in use on regular basis, carries climbing gear, regularly used for hill walking, 2 PARAS10's done. Elastic on lid shot to bits, stitching coming adrift where mong loadies picked it up by top straps, a couple of abrasions where it's either fallen or been thrown. Get rid of it? Nah, my lad's only 12, he might need it in a few years and then he can pass it on to his lad.

spins

Ned_Seagoon

War Hero
My Cyclops is still doing sterling service with sprog No1; pity he doesn't know how ally it is. Actually, it still niffs of the dieso that it sponged up from the trailer 2 weeks into GRANBY.

Berghaus Delta. I keep gardening clothes etc in it in my shed. It also has a secret stash of McVities Fruit Shortbread biscuits in one of the side pockets. Don't tell Mrs PBUH......
She knows mate.

Mine can find biscuits and chocolate no matter how well hidden in an interal zipped pocket in the pack lid.

They must teach it at girl school or something.

I've a Crusader pack which I bought off a mate. A few running repairs, but it's miles more comfortable than the PLCE thing I got issued.

It is the dogs', and like spins says, the little Boumers' can have it off daddy in their time.

Still got my old Crusader. Had it since 1989, and its been all over the world with me. I used it this morning to take my dhobi in.

Anyone still have a Berghaus Crusader/Cyclops Roc bergan or Munro 35 festering in their loft/attic/shed/locker (delete as necessary)?

Or even better, is anyone still utilising said bit of kit in order to prove their 'veteran' status?!
Yes, along with an AP Bergan. Both still used.

Why?

Anyone still have a Berghaus Crusader/Cyclops Roc bergan or Munro 35 festering in their loft/attic/shed/locker (delete as necessary)?
Vulcan still upstairs empty. Used it a lot and put ALICE waterbottle pouches on it for drink and food (pre camelbak days)

Green PLCE in the garage, weighted but would probably get a hernia if I lift it now!

Couple of green Karrimor HOT's that I used in the '90's. My brother still uses his Munro. As usual, the elastic has gone 8)

Car boot sale or even flea bay in the future methinks.

Mattb

LE
My Cyclops is still doing sterling service with sprog No1; pity he doesn't know how ally it is. Actually, it still niffs of the dieso that it sponged up from the trailer 2 weeks into GRANBY.
Pity it wasn't a '58 large pack - with the amount of liquid that '58 can absorb and the current price of fuel, you'd be sitting on a ******* goldmine there!

I think you mean "sitting on an oil well" Mattb :wink:

My Roc is in the attic had it since 84. Bit of stitching going (from fitting 4 side pouches instead of 2 (2 fitted to side compression straps). Padding and elastic shot to bits but just can't get rid. Might even get Berghaus to re-furb it one day, they were sold "Guaranteed for Life" and I'm still going!:salut:

Can this thread be cross-referenced (or should that be cross-referred?.... discuss) with the 'Grammar Nazi hates.....' thread? It's called a ******* "Bergen"

BERGEN!!!

While I'm at it, a 'Nissan Hut' is a prefabricated construction intended to house a Japanese car. Otherwise it DOES NOT ******* EXIST!

.... and breathe!

Buzz

LE
I still have the OG PLCE longback hiding in the back of the wardrobe, it does get used to take the recycling to the tip every now and then. Fully stuffed with kit to the point where the nylon snorkel bit is sticking out and with the rocket packs on you do look at the size of thing and think you might have been a tad over optimistc about the amount of kit you can sensibly carry at a pace faster than a pensioner in Asda.

While I know that they finally took on board the complaints about the large pack and did something about it they may have just gone a wee bit too far in the other direction.

Latest Threads