Berghaus Centurio daysack & PLCE side pouches

I've just got one of these daysacks in the 45 litre size - I noticed they sell the MMPS side pouches to boost the capacity, but they aren't cheap. This set me wondering, would old school PLCE side pouches fit the Berghaus zips?
I've read the review on here & someone else asked the same question but I couldn't find the response.
Does anybody know if I can use PLCE pouches?

Bump

I've just got one of these daysacks in the 45 litre size - I noticed they sell the MMPS side pouches to boost the capacity, but they aren't cheap. This set me wondering, would old school PLCE side pouches fit the Berghaus zips?
I've read the review on here & someone else asked the same question but I couldn't find the response.
Review here says no as the zips are reversed: http://www.berghaus.com/centurio-45-mmps-rucksack/420501.html

watchandshoot1

Old-Salt
Just tried it on mine. Nope you will have to fork out for Berghaus's own I'm afraid.

Although I do recommend the daysack it's brilliant. Mine has taken a battering and stood up well. The top flap is a good size so you can comfortably carry oversized kit. The straps are well padded and the internal frame makes it comfortable... although it does mean you wouldn't be able to use it as a grab sack in a bergen if thats your intention.

On the odd time I have needed more space I have just strapped dry bags to the side using the utility straps (Where the rocket pouches would go) it looks a bit chad but works.

Thanks for that. Will any Berghaus pouches fit or will it have to be the MMPS specifically?
Thanks again.

Mattb

LE
Thanks for that. Will any Berghaus pouches fit or will it have to be the MMPS specifically?
Thanks again.
Fairly sure that the old Berghaus pouches fitted PLCE, so if the new ones aren't interchangeable with PLCE then I'd imagine that they don't work with the old ones either.

Talking out of my bum, via a mobile telephone.

When the MOD ripped off Berghaus's brilliant and innovative Vulcan/Centurion design and made a bargain basement copy of it as the PLCE bergan they reversed the zip fastening so that Berghaus side pockets would be incompatible- they are the other way up.

If you need to use PLCE Rocket Pouches on your private purchase bergan then get Boris or somebody to sew zips on the other way up.

Thanks for all the replies, I was hoping to save money on the pouches by using PLCE, but It looks like I'll have to go for the official ones.
Mind you, 45L is a big old bag, I might be able to wait until I get a chance to get a good price on eBay or Amazon...

Thanks for all the replies, I was hoping to save money on the pouches by using PLCE, but It looks like I'll have to go for the official ones.
Mind you, 45L is a big old bag, I might be able to wait until I get a chance to get a good price on eBay or Amazon...
If you are serving you'd probably be better off spending your money on getting it altered to work with PLCE pouches. It's compatible with the rest of your kit then or with your mates' kit when you find you need to share kit or swap stuff about in the field.

I'm probably in a minority of one in thinking that rocket pouches are quite good and practical.

I'm no longer serving but frequently travel for work, usually for 2 or 3 days at a time. I want a daysack that can be expanded to carry enough stuff for that period. I think the Centurio was a good choice - I'll add the side pouches when I spot a good deal.

Mattb

LE
When the MOD ripped off Berghaus's brilliant and innovative Vulcan/Centurion design and made a bargain basement copy of it as the PLCE bergan they reversed the zip fastening so that Berghaus side pockets would be incompatible- they are the other way up.
The newer ones do fit - they must have changed the design to be compatible

Talking out of my bum, via a mobile telephone.

Mattb,
I've got a friend who owns a surplus store, I will take the daysack to the store & (if he's got any in stock) try it out. Why didn't l think of that before?
I won't always need them fitted, but the bag is big enough that they can be kept inside when not in use.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

If you are serving you'd probably be better off spending your money on getting it altered to work with PLCE pouches. It's compatible with the rest of your kit then or with your mates' kit when you find you need to share kit or swap stuff about in the field.

I'm probably in a minority of one in thinking that rocket pouches are quite good and practical.
Nope, I'd agree. Nothing like being able to break down the load and put it in pouches where it's accessible and where you don't have to root through everything else.

Yes, I'd also agree. I like to put stuff that I might need on the outside rather than rummaging through all the stuff on the inside trying to get it.

Mattb

LE
Practical yes, good no.

With an improved yoke it could be a really rather decent system.

Practical yes, good no.

With an improved yoke it could be a really rather decent system.
Fair comment. The original idea of one pouch on a very light and simple pair of shoulder straps was good.

Mattb

LE
Yep - my main complaint is that the padded part of the straps is not long enough, meaning that part of the load is carried via a bit of 20mm webbing on the front of my shoulders.

The original Berghaus system (with padding all the way down) was better.

It is a faff to assemble as well, even when you leave the yoke on one half when zipped to the bergan.

RP01

Crow
Any Berghaus products that have MMPS in their name are the opposite way up to PLCE.

The Vulcan is currently changing, it was PLCE, but is getting switched over to MMPS. (Beware they have updated the model two times: original PLCE, second MMPS (but it does not state this), third MMPS.)

Latest Threads