bergen weight?

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by Monkeyjizz, Jun 29, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Going to start basic soon so i've been walking in boots and a bergen with about 18kg in it. Is this reasonable or should i up it, i'm joining the RE as a fitter. would appreciate some good advice.
  2. Up it to 25kg, but pack it right. If you are carrying a heavy bergen for any distance, you want the weight as high up and close in to your back as possible.
    You have got the right idea to be getting in a little training beforehand, as it will pay dividends.

Good luck
  3. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Good idea to get some miles in wearing boots, but your aim should be simply to get used to wearing a boot, and maybe some load on your back. DON'T RUN IN THEM.

Get some running miles in wearing trainers - focus on CV fitness and building up your quads with hill reps etc 40 minute sessions should be fine - long distance stuff is not necessary.

Lastly as a Sapper you need to work on the upper body as well. Nothing fancy, needed press ups and sit ups are a good start.

Bottom line is that every little helps. If you start fitter than the rest you will suffer less, and are less likely to get injured.
  4. can i ask why people alwas say not to run in boots
    obvuisly not when breaking them in but once they are broken in
    obviously you dont want to run in them for the majorty of your training but what about abit of it?
  5. From what I understand it's a matter of boots not having enough cushioning in them and the subsequent wear and tear on the joints especially knees and hips causing allsorts of problems in time.
  6. Young man, there is no need what so ever to run in boots or with wait on your back unless of course you're aiming to damage your body and promote the early onset of old age ailements.

Get a good pair of running trainers but don't spend a fortune and run for a max of 25-30 miles a week. A lot less to begin with. Short amounts each day to begin with then as you get fitter increase the distance each day and reduce the frequency. Unless you want to be Steve Cram 6-8 miles is long enough for anyone in one go. The important bit is to increase your stamina and this is done by raising the heart rate for prolonged periods of time. Fitness is only really developed once you reach the 20 mins point and so ideally you'll do at least half an hour right from the start, even if it is slow. Do not unless desperate go on the running machines as all you do there is keep yourself in the air.

Increase your muscle strength through a properly structured weights programme which concentrates on strength rather than beauty. You need strong legs (not for getting the hamstrings), strong, stomach, shoulders and arms and do not forget the anchor to all that work is a strong back.

As you get older and develop more knowledge of fitness and how it is developed you will obviously change your rourines but until then the above advice will stand you in good sted. Remember there are no quick routes or short cuts consistency is the key.
  7. Whilst agreeing with everything said above, dont get paranoid about running in boots.
    You will spend most of your career in boots, and you will spend a lot of time running about hither and yon. As long as it is not continuous and prolonged, you will be ok.
    If (as I suspect) you have grown up wearing trainers, boots are a bit of a shock to the system. They will feel heavy, hot and restrictive but do not despair, as you will soon get used to them.
    Do not be afraid to experiment with different insoles and lacing techniques and ask the advice of your seniors as there are always little tricks and tips worth learning.
  8. If you've never tabbed before start of with 15 to 20lbs and work up from there. Avoid running in boots now because chances are you won't be allowed to use your own boots anyway so your nice broken in boots will be redundant. Harden your feet by wiping them with meths nightly. Don't train that hard that you feck yourself though. My mate trained like a mad thing and got achilles tendonitis for his troubles. The best things to do are road runs for 5 to 8 miles, circuit training and swimming. If you do those for a month before your join up date you will be fine. If you want a program writing for you ask on at 'the training wing' or on the APTC forum. Good luck.
  9. I've seen several kinds of lacing methods, can anyone explain the merits of not doing the "crossover" type?
  10. No need to run in boots, the CFT is a march, not a run and any properly trained PTI will be able to brief you on this.

Get a good pair of trainers - personal recommendation (and no I don't own shares in the company) is New Balance who make their trainers in UK so no child-slave labour.
  11. Neo

Neo Clanker

Some excellent advice given there. Be careful not to try and overdo it though, unless you are into phys you will not understand the correct warm up and cool down techniques, these are vital if you want to get through a good thrashing of phys otherwise you'll be hobbling around like an old man (Slug that does not mean me!)

Also a good bit of advice to build up is get a cheap heart rate monitor and train properly with it, at first it seems too easy but stick with it and the results are amazing.

Finally measure a 1 1/2 mile distance, pretty flat, and practice the BPFA as follows: 2 minutes press ups, rest 2 minutes, 2 minutes of sit ups then run the 1 1/2 mile after a 800m warm up jog. You really want to be doing about 9 minutes to 9minutes 30 seconds for the 1 1/2 miler as a rough guide.

Good luck

Neo (the old)
  12. I've been using NB trainers for around 15 yrs. As said, they are mostly UK made, but no more expensive than a lot of sweat shop produced trainers.

NB shoes also have a good reputation with heavier runners - something to think about if you're not built like the average marathon runner.
  13. Again top advice from most posters again ,but for my input . Dont Tab to get fit . Use a tab once a week to prove to yourself that you are getting stronger and fitter , get my point .? Run fast as you can for as long as you can (min30mins) 3 times a week , that way you will get fit quickly but you must get out of the comfort zone . Then run long slow and steady twice a week . have the rest of the week off . Switch your slow runs with swimming and your fast runs with circuit training and there you have a good all round BASIC training program . ''NO PAIN NO GAIN '' oh yes i also agree New Balence are top trainers
  14. Tabbing is ok, but as recce-cpl says dont use it to get fit, more as a continuation thing. The Corp do a lot of heavy lifting type stuff Bridging, Sanger construction and the like. In my experience 'racing snakes' tend to struggle a bit after the third HGOB on a bridge gallop! so do a fair amount of upper body work.

As to the bergan... dont over load it, take the CFT weight and add say 15% build up and train with that once a week after you have sorted the basic running out, come CFT time removing the 15% extra will be noticable...

Dont even think about loading the thing with everything you deploy with and tabbing with that, with out the proper build up you will knacker every joint going.

Running in boots? yes and no, again build up slow and moderation is the key word, we used to do all our running in them (ave 5 to 7 mile troop runs) and a lot of the guys from the 80's now have knackered knees and ankles :(

Best advice is a good all round routine, with possibly an emphasive on upper body stuff. ALWAYS do a warm up AND cool down session before and after any phys session - 40 min session = 10 min warm up + 20 min workout, then 10 min cool down. Learn to run properly (local running club may be able to help here) a good technique as regards to a 'flat footed' running in flip flops type style always helps and will go a long way to reducing shine splints and the like.
  15. [quote="snapper and a lot of the guys from the 80's now have knackered knees and ankles :(

.... dead right. Every time this subject comes up i say GET SOME SORBOTHANE!

put these magical insoles in your boots for any training you do in them. It's fantastic. You'll never know how much good it's done you - they stop you getting injuries caused by repeated shock to knees ankles and hip joints. Just get a set (about a tenner or so) and replace them every few months. If you have knee / ankle pain folks - I can't reccommend sorbothane highly enough, it gets you back on the road quicketty quick.