Bergen-Belsen KZ

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Andyroo, May 31, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone help me with a bit of history?

My Father was a battery 2ic of a Royal Artillery battery involved in the liberation of Belsen. The 56th Anti-Tank Regt is often quoted as being involved but my Father's pay book lists his Regt as 88th Regt Royal Artillery (HAC). They were an heavy anti-aircraft battery but often worked in an anti-tank role (a la Wermacht).

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

2. sheldrake

sheldrake RIP

The Artillery unit which liberated Belsen was the Queens Own Oxfordshire Hussars who were re-roled to Artillery during the war. I'm not too sure what the Regt's number was.

3. There was more than 1 battery involved. I have photographs that show my Father observing his men guarding SS men/women unloading corpses into one of the mass graves.

4. sheldrake

sheldrake RIP

Ahhh... OK. I just knew that the Queer Objects On Horseback were the first in.

Their RSM used to be our Legion Secretary. One of life's Gentlemen!

5. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Doesn't surprise me. My uncle joined the Northumberland Hussars in September 1939 and his squadron was promptly re-roled as a Light Anti-tank Battery in 25 LAA Regt RA.

He drove his gun tractor over three invasion beaches on respective D-Days in Sicily, Italy and Normandy.

6. My Father's Adjudant was none other than Sir Edward Heath!

7. try dropping a note to the achivist at the HAC:

The Archivist, HAC, Armoury House, City Road, London, EC1Y 2BQ; Tel. 020
    7382 1541; e-mail: jarmstrong@hac.org.uk

He may be able to help.

8. Cheers, Bailey :D

9. I think if every regiment that claimed to have been first in had tried to drive a vehicle into Bergen Belsen, then the RMP would have needed to be called for the trafic jam... :twisted:

10. sheldrake

sheldrake RIP

I was only relating what the old Gent told me and what the QOOH museum in Woodstock says, you know...... I didn't say I was there!

Don't shoot the messenger old chap....especially with that ghastly auto. :wink:

11. If you had said it, I doubt in that massive crowd anyone could have gainsaid it!!

My departed Pa was also in Belsen at its liberation, with 1RSF. The Guards were also there and various Div tps. No monopoly on sadness eh??

12. If you had said it, I doubt in that massive crowd anyone could have gainsaid it!!

My departed Pa was also in Belsen at its liberation, with 1RSF. The Guards were also there and various Div tps. No monopoly on sadness eh??

13. Taking Bailey's advice I contacted the HAC archivist. It transpired that the firt unit in was my Father's battery. 86th (Essex) Heavy Anti Aircraft Bty, Royal Artillery (HAC) & NOT the 56th Anti Tank Regt as often quoted online. The 86th (Essex) Bty were part of the Honourable Artillery Company No 86 Company.

14. As was mine with Guards Armoured. I really should get those photos scanned.

15. My Wifes Grandmother was one of the first nurses brought in to help the inmates, she had been on the flying ambulances that brought troops and ammo in and casualties out of Normandy, to the day she died aged 97 she hated the Germans