Bergan top cover

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Yorkshire_Warrior, Feb 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok maybe a bit of a dumb red arsse question here, but here goes.

An old bergan of mine has the elastic cut out on the top cover, making it eaiser to fit fit stuff underneath. But I have recently got myself one with the elastic in.

My question is: How does one remove it? Alos how would i go about doing it on my munro?

Sorry cant find any pics of a bergan already done.

2. I thought Bergan Top Cover was where you had a little bloke with a Gimpy in the top of your bergan! :lol:
  3. Ok found of picture of one. can any body help?

Attached Files:

4. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

Looking at my issued one, the guy before me did this - it looks like he cut into the material from underneath, snipped the cord, then stitched it back up.

Hope this helps!
  5. I have a Munro, and the elastic has gone on the lid.
    All I did to make this happen was remove the metal internal frame and wash it in a washing machine!

Ridiculous but true!
  6. Ok cheers mate, will try this. Would rather do this then start chopping way at it.
  7. OK, sensible answer now I see what you're talking about.

Looking at my Berghaus Cyclops Roc I can suggest that using it for 18 years would be one solution. The elastic has gone completely like the one in the picture.

Looking at a slightly newer Vulcan, it appears that the elastic is stitched into the hemming strip so can't be pulled out if you unpick one end.

Why not have the best of both worlds?
    Unpick the hemming strip and sew a new, deeper, one on. Thread a 4mm shockcord through it with a cordlock so you can have it snug or loose at a moments notice? Any seamstress should be able to do this for you or buy a sewing machine and earn loads of beer tokens mending your mates kit!

Remember that the elastication is good for keeping snow and dust out.
  8. not that this helps much but...

I always thought that issued bergans came with one side of the top cover elastic loose so that the roll matt could fit underneath it?????

9. Spot on cheers for that, best bit of advice I've had all day, cheers!
  10. They all come with all the elastic working all the way round. They get fecked on one side if people always put their rollmat there. It will come with age and use.
  11. You're more than welcome.

An old treadle sewing machine like this will do webbing if you're careful with it. A bit bulky though as it comes on it's own table.

Here's another, a bit nearer to Yorkshire

If you've got any queries on this let me know, I sew up all sorts of webbing and canvas for gun slips, slings and so on.