Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bergan on and off (exercise)? Any PTIs here?

Strange question I know, but in a PT program for Army reserves, I saw this as part of a workout:

10 Bergan on and off (5 each side)

Obviously I have put a Bergan on, and taken it off before, but I'm guessing that it's supposed to be done in a specific manner for this exercise, so it targets certain muscle groups.

Does anyone know the proper form, or perhaps have a video showing it demonstrated?

Thanks in advance.

T_T

Strange question I know, but in a PT program for Army reserves, I saw this as part of a workout:

Obviously I have put a Bergan on, and taken it off before, but I'm guessing that it's supposed to be done in a specific manner for this exercise, so it targets certain muscle groups.

Does anyone know the proper form, or perhaps have a video showing it demonstrated?

Thanks in advance.

T_T
I find twisting it on followed by swaying around a bit to steady yourself does the trick.

As an aside. I find stuff like this interesting. A bit like passing your driving test and then learning how to park in a multi story car park. It takes time to master and difficult to explain to a novice .

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Thanks in advance.

T_T
Just get your man to carry it for you. Job done.

Dwarf

LE
Just get your man to carry it for you. Job done.
Blast. You beat me to it. But maybe you should also mention that you can shout at him for not doing it fast enough/correctly thus giving your lungs a good workout.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Blast. You beat me to it. But maybe you should also mention that you can shout at him for not doing it fast enough/correctly thus giving your lungs a good workout.
Silly boy, you have a shouty Sarn't Major for that!

Dwarf

LE
Silly boy, you have a shouty Sarn't Major for that!
Very true, I stand corrected and bow to your experience, but in fairness the OP was asking about exercise. I got carried away.

Will now get my batman to pour me another G&T.

Dwarf

LE
Would you please direct your enquiry to my orderly? He understands that sort of thing........

2000AD

Old-Salt
1) Put massive overladen (complete to Sqn SOP loading list) bergan on floor on its back straps uppemost.
2)Don CEFO
3) lay on your back on top of bergan.
3) bring straps around shoulders and secure across chest with sternum strap.
4) Roll over onto front.
5) Attempt to raise self over onto hands and knees marvelling at the strain required to achieve this seemingly simple movement.
6) Gradually bring upper torso to vertical.
7) Straighten legs and lift to full height in one sweeping motion.
8) Tip over backwards to position in instruction number 3 and repeat 4 through 8 until exhaustion sets in.

Edited 'cos I can't spell.

When fresh and chirpy I used to favour the over the head method.

When I got knackered it became this method usually doing an upside down tortoise impression at step 4.

1) Put massive overladen (complete to Sqn SOP loading list) bergan on floor on its back straps uppemost.
2)Don CEFO
3) lay on your back on top of bergan.
3) bring straps around shoulders and secure across chest with sternum strap.
4) Roll over onto front................or become an upside down tortoise.
5) Attempt to raise self over onto hands and knees marvelling at the strain required to achieve this seemingly simple movement.
6) Gradually bring upper torso to vertical.
7) Straighten legs and lift to full height in one sweeping motion.
8) Tip over backwards to position in instruction number 3 and repeat 4 through 8 until exhaustion sets in.

Edited 'cos I can't spell.

When fresh and chirpy I used to favour the over the head method.

When I got knackered it became this method usually doing an upside down tortoise impression at step 4.
Report to your civvy doctor thirty (if you are lucky) years later complaining of mysterious back and joint pain, that is at its worst in the morning. Particularly in the knees.

The reverse method is when taking bergan off and trying to step out,dont remove chunky GShock watch so that bergan strap hangs off it and bergan grips you in a judo throw and sends you into only puddle on a dry training area

Dwarf

LE

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The reverse method is when taking bergan off and trying to step out,dont remove chunky GShock watch so that bergan strap hangs off it and bergan grips you in a judo throw and sends you into only puddle on a dry training area
Said puddle emanating from a line of men pointing their weapons down the range :)

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I wonder if the OP feels he is getting the help and support from this thread that he expected? :)

@Tartan_Terrier ;)

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
I've been a member here for some years now, so this is pretty much what I expected. Unfortunately.
This sounds like one of those whizzo ideas some 60-year old eejit at HJV HQ has come up with, courtesy of having spent six months in the ever-so-special HJV patrols company in 1985. I fail to see much merit in it, frankly.

Latest Threads