Beretta Silver Pigeon

Hey up chaps!

Can anyone shed some light on the differences between the Beretta Silver Pigeon IV and V?

I have done a few searches and apart from the cosmetic blued metalwork on the V rather than black on the IV are there any differences, mechanically or otherwise, in the V that makes it a superior piece to the IV?

JN

It all comes down to the number of craftsmen hours in the gun...

Cuddles said:
It all comes down to the number of craftsmen hours in the gun...
Ah! So its the "personal touches" that increases its value and prestige.....that makes sense.

Cheers mukka.

B

BambiBasher

All the Silver Pigeons are the same gun mechanically - the higher you go, the more attractive a grade of timber you get for the stock and forend, not sure about the II, the III is shiny with some hand engraving, the IV is black, and the V is colour-hardened, with the best grade of walnut and all hand engraving, and a silver lozenge in the stock to have your initials engraved on.

But it's no more accurate than any other gun - if you can't hit with a Baikal, you won't hit with a Purdey.

BambiBasher said:
All the Silver Pigeons are the same gun mechanically - the higher you go, the more attractive a grade of timber you get for the stock and forend, not sure about the II, the III is shiny with some hand engraving, the IV is black, and the V is colour-hardened, with the best grade of walnut and all hand engraving, and a silver lozenge in the stock to have your initials engraved on.

But it's no more accurate than any other gun - if you can't hit with a Baikal, you won't hit with a Purdey.
Cheers BambiBasher.

I've mostly been shooting a club Silver Pigeon III and liked it very much hence looking at the Silver Pigeon range. I think the V is the way forward then from a "look at me look at me" point of view and the fact I can shoot the bloody thing!

:)

B

BambiBasher

I've got one and it's a lovely looking thing, 40th present from the missus. I bought a battered old AYA to use for rough shooting and bramble-bashing as I didn't want to muck up the Beretta.

BambiBasher said:
I've got one and it's a lovely looking thing, 40th present from the missus. I bought a battered old AYA to use for rough shooting and bramble-bashing as I didn't want to muck up the Beretta.
Now thats what I call a missus! Take note Mrs Neutron! :)

Yeah, I've got to say I can't wait to get my hands on it. :D

B

BambiBasher

JimmyNeutron said:
BambiBasher said:
Now thats what I call a missus!
Not only that, she even puts up with a German Shorthaired Pointer getting under the covers on cold nights, she held the lamp (did think of attaching one to a hat for her to wear but thought that was taking the urine a bit) when the vehicle mount broke and I had to make a lot of foxes be dead, and even took the oars to save petrol when trolling for salmon on Lough Leane, on our honeymoon.

Top Missus.

BambiBasher said:
JimmyNeutron said:
BambiBasher said:
Now thats what I call a missus!
Not only that, she even puts up with a German Shorthaired Pointer getting under the covers on cold nights, she held the lamp (did think of attaching one to a hat for her to wear but thought that was taking the urine a bit) when the vehicle mount broke and I had to make a lot of foxes be dead, and even took the oars to save petrol when trolling for salmon on Lough Leane, on our honeymoon.

Top Missus.
Sounds like a great catch there mate, fair play to you!

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
BambiBasher said:

To a point, yes I'd agree.

However, when a mate of the same build and eye of myself lent me his Purdey it was just so much easier.
No, it was effortless. As if I wasn't trying.

That said, I don't think I'll ever have the dosh for a new Purdey - and especially the three matched guns I have in my fantasy armoury ! :D

Cutaway said:
BambiBasher said:

However, when a mate of the same build and eye of myself lent me his Purdey it was just so much easier.

That said, I don't think I'll ever have the dosh for a new Purdey - and especially the three matched guns I have in my fantasy armoury ! :D
That's going to be down to gunfit and choke more than anything else. I have a Remington 870 that is easy to hit with (I wouldn't use the term "accurate" in relation to shotguns) and it is a very cheap gun compared to almost anything else short of a Baikal. That said I use an old English hammergun or a BSA boxlock in the field.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
EX_STAB said:
Cutaway said:
BambiBasher said:

That's going to be down to gunfit and choke more than anything else. I have a Remington 870 that is easy to hit with (I wouldn't use the term "accurate" in relation to shotguns) and it is a very cheap gun compared to almost anything else short of a Baikal. That said I use an old English hammergun or a BSA boxlock in the field.
True story Ex, it is down to the fit.
But if a craftsman who really knows what he's doing fits a gun to you it's like a favourite coat or a special bint - everything else is ok but never feels quite that good. :)