Berets - KOYLI

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by SandExporter, Jul 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apologies if this is the wrong place,

What colour berets did the KOYLI wear? It's my dad's old regiment and I can't find a colour photo anywhere!

I'm trying to arrange a special christmas present for him - having some b&w photos of his youth hand coloured.

I can find pics of uniform and vehicles and kit.... but not the blessed beret?

Any help gratefully received!

2. I hesitated to say 'Rifle Green', but found this picture of an old boy.

http://www.remembrancedaysong.com/alfbarley.htm

The KOYLI's successors all wore rifle green berets, but when berets were introduced during the war, this wasn't necessarily so.

Alf's wearing of rifle green is a reasonable indicator. However, I wasn't around at the time and it's for no means certain.
    A good quality can be found at The Rifles shop, the KOYLI's current descendants.
    http://www.riflesdirect.com/uniform-8-c.asp

You could try the KOYLI museum. It might be worth it, because I've got it in my head that, certainly early on, most regiments wore brown berets including rifle and light regiments. They'd almost certainly be able to tell you if and when any change in beret colour ever happened.
    01302 734 293
    http://www.24hourmuseum.org.uk/museum_gfx_en/YH000068.html

Good luck- I'm sure you'll make him happy with your thought.

3. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

I would have said it depends on when he served as the beret didn't become main stream wear until the 50's?? in WW2 most Units wore the FS cap (chip bag) or GS beret (a large cowpat) both in Khaki. Tankies, Recce Corps, Airborne, Commandos and some others wore coloured berets as we know now.

4. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Assuming your dad isn't in his 80's, then he served post war, when the Greenjacket and Light Infantry regiments wore Rifle green berets.

5. My mate's old man was in 12KRRC (Queens Westminsters) in the later stages of the war. They were a Motor Bn. and part of an independent Armoured Bde. He reckons his dad told him they used to wear the black RAC beret.

Just to clarify things you understand. :wink:

6. I was under the impression that the RTR wore a black beret not the RAC.

7. No all motor battalions wore khaki berets.

8. The black beret is indeed originally RTC/RTR, worn by them from about 1924, but from 1940-46 the whole RAC (with the exception of the 11th Hussars, who wore the rust-coloured beret now worn by the KRH) wore black berets. In 1946 the dark-blue beret was introduced and the majority of army units started wearing that in place of black (which RAC units had worn) or khaki (worn by infantry, RA, RE, R Sigs etc in armoured divs and some other formations) and the khaki GS cap; at this time the RTR reclaimed the black beret as their own.

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Well SLI wore Khaki at the close of WW2 along with DCLI but with a rifle green patch on which to mount the badge. This seems to have gone to an all green beret by the time SCLI were formed. There are pics of Tom King as a subbie wearing SLI beret in Khaki with Rifle green patch for the SLI Badge.
    I do believe however that before the LI was formed all former regiments were by then wearing Rifle Green.

10. Are you calling my mate's dead dad a liar!! :evil:

11. Black berets were worn only by the RAC and armoured/tank battalions of Foot Guards. Motor battalions were infantry and therefore wore khaki berets-they were the first infantry units to adopt the khaki beret, as early as 1942 IIRC.