Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know where I can get a cherry backing for my beret on line.

2. Why go online. Why not visit the stores and say

'Could I have some cherry backing for my beret please'.

Much cheaper.

3. Probably due to the stores not having any cherry backing EVER... last place I saw it, the SQ was using it as a table cover instead of issuing it to those in need. Stores are for storing ;)

4. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Obviously!

5. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Telephone (or visit) a military tailor that makes RAMC mess kit and ask them to send you a piece. With any luck they will send you an off cut for nothing or next to nothing but beware many of these people would sell their own grannies.

6. sounds abit thick but what is cherry backing???

7. What you get behind cherries :)

seriously it is the cherry red backing worn behind the cap badges of those in medical units

8. cheers for that

9. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Being a spotter its the dull cherry backing worn by RAMC pers below WO1 behind their metal cap badges.

QA's have a scarlet backing behind their badges and and the dental types have green backing. Other people in 'medical units' such as RLC and RAChD don't have backings.

BTB Off the top of my head I think the Vets have vermillion but I could be wrong - I'm sure some one will correct me.

10. Lift the RSMs coffee cup, remove his coaster cut out oval , replace coaster and cup jobs a good une.

11. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I take it, your old beret is still being used by the RAF at Odiham?..............

12. Venty I wore my beret because I had to I never saw it as a fashion accessory unlike some.

13. Exactly! and besides, if all were to be issued then there would be none left in stock! :(

14. Why didnt you just take the one off your old beret? or was it robbed? highly possible as we are talking RAMC here!

I had the same cherry backing from the day I joined right up until I got my WO1, it had shrunk a fair bit due to trimming off the raggy holes made by my stitching and it used to attract flies. Nice!